Downloads over 100MB

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by abuskeletor, May 12, 2015.

1. abuskeletor macrumors regular

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, ATT LTE connection

Updated apps, got three "Over 100MB, wait until connected to wifi" messages, one for each of three apps over 200MB, the largest at 236MB. They then started downloading and installed over LTE without a hitch.

Anyone else able to download updates over 100MB over LTE?

2. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

Sometimes I can, other times I can't... Don't really understand what the differences are! It seems like I can if I choose Update All, whereas updating a single app will yell. Either way it's sporadic for me.

3. abuskeletor thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. This is the first time I noticed it. Two were updated when I hit "update all" and one was later and I just hit the update button by it and all three had no problem, even though I got the message saying they needed wifi to download.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, some people have found ways to "force" it to do it, and sometimes it just does it without something specific happening to "force" it.

5. windywalks macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that happened because the updated part was just the changes made to the app, the delta that is. I have an unlimited LTE plan and I can update apps like Pages, Keynote, iMovie etc. without a problem after having downloaded them via WiFi but it's just the changes, not the whole app.

The 100MB limit still stands and believe me, it's infuriating, because I can't download the Beta iOS over cellular even though I can.
    Same goes for anything else from the iTunes Store or App Store.

I know the mechanism is in place to protect customers unaware of the limits and to conserve the networks bandwidth, but come on. If I can tether the same phone and download the bejesus out of it, then why not enable me to do the same things without the tethering?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, but the size listed next to the update is generally the size of that delta and not the whole app (at least as I recall it to be).

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its the opposite. The size listed next to the app in the updates section is the full app size, not the delta. That is why when you download it, it will say its too large, but downloads anyway because the delta is much smaller, but the app store is only recognizing the full size of the app.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's a bit hard to say. The size listed in the updates section seems to differ somewhat from what the size listed for the actual app itself. It seems the difference is usually a few MB for many apps, but there's still a difference for some reason.

9. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Download size you see is the full app size were it installed fresh, not the delta app size. Not possible to see delta app size, so you aren't going to know which apps can and can't be downloaded over LTE if delta app size is over 100MB.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why wouldn't they list the delta size if that's what the update would in fact deliver? And why does that size still differ than the full app size listed when you go to that particular app in the App Store?