Downloads wont stop downloading??????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BIONIC, May 4, 2010.

1. BIONIC macrumors newbie

I dont know why but i cant seem to download zip files. Every time i download a zip file it won't stop downloading or it wont start. I need help :confused:

Also... I'm new :], Hi!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you likely use one of the newer Macs with Safari?

Can you maybe post a link to a .zip file, so we can test it?

Can you test your download and upload speed here, to see if the download speed might be a problem?

How big are those .zip files? Does it only happen with .zip files, or are other files un-downloadable too?

Btw, that font you use, is not easy on the eyes. You can use the normal font, which is meant for reading.

3. BIONIC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yah, im using my new week old mac pro. :]

And here's the link http://www.mediafire.com/?w1a3vj5vxhi

[​IMG]

But my DL speed isn't the problem.

It only happens with zip files... :[

4. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

When the Zip file finishes it will auto extract. Maybe that's what you're waiting on.

EDIT: A bit off topic, but I just tried that speed test thing...
    [​IMG]
    BOOM! And that's the slowest available here... My building only gets Verizon FiOS.

5. BIONIC thread starter macrumors newbie

No, that's not the problem. THe problem is that the file is 92.7 MB and it will continue to download and wont stop.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It worked for me with Mac OS X 10.6.3 and Safari 4.0.5.

7. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

What do you mean "wont stop"? What happens exactly when the progress bar hits the end?

8. BIONIC thread starter macrumors newbie

it will continue to download... i don't what the hell its downloading :confused:

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What does it say underneath the progress bar in the Downloads window?

(By the way, deliberately posting in the most diabolical font ever conceived by man is seriously bad karma.)

10. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

I'm sure its frustrating, but what does the progress bar do? Does it start again from the beginning? Does it stay full but just not do anything? Does it go into that spinning lines thing (tech term!) and keep downloading but not change?

Have you tried it in a different browser just to check?

11. BIONIC thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing. It doesn't say anything.

Sorry... :D

That.

I tried it with firefox but won't even download :(

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Glad you found the answer. ;)

Seriously, where is the file coming from? Can it be broken down into smaller pieces? Can it be saved in a different format? Do other things download? Just wondering if the problem is on the other end...

13. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I'm guessing it's just this one file and it's an issue with their server. Try seeing if Chrome will do it for you. If not try Camino. If that doesn't work you can try Opera. :)

Also you can try a Download manager for Macs and see if pasting the address in will work. I don't know what a good one is though. I use jdownloader from time to time.

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

To confirm, you see the file start downloading, there is a regular progress bar that works its way across, and then when it reaches the end it goes into the spinning barber-pole lines and gets stuck there. Is that correct?

If so, I'm going to guess that it says "Decompressing Download" underneath the progress bar once it goes into the stuck phase.

If so, the problem isn't the download process, it's the browser trying to decompress the download after it finishes. Try, in this case, clicking the magnifying glass icon on the right side of the browser window to show the actual download file in the Finder. It will presumably look like a 92MB file with a .zip extension at the end. Double click on it and see if it decompresses--if so, the file was indeed fully downloaded and just failing to extract.

If you get an error trying that, post what it is.

Also, if Firefox is hanging on the download, try temporarily disabling the "block popup" feature--I believe the site is being aggressive enough in trying to open a new advertising window when you start the download that Firefox is blocking enough that it fails to start at all. I've seen it happen before.

Alternately, try downloading Opera or Chrome and try one of those.

15. BIONIC thread starter macrumors newbie

16. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

For future reference if someone stumbles upon this thread... How?

17. Sebastian4130 macrumors newbie

Having Same Exact Problem

I am having the same exact problem and read the entire thread but the solution was never posted. Does anyone know what is happening. I try to download a program on apple.com using Firefox and I get the constant spinning wheel likes it's downloading yet nothing happens. The crazy thing is it happens on other sites to with download, especially with zip files. Can anyone help??!!!