Downloads

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zacl87, Nov 3, 2009.

1. zacl87 macrumors member

Why is the extension ".xml" added when downloading a file directly. I've only noticed it with documents and the like (i.e. single files).

This makes the file inoperable within the specified program it's made for with no change even with deleting the extension in the file name.

Any ideas?
    Cheers

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is this happening on all sites or just when downloading from one particular site? Usually when browsers download with the wrong file extensions it means that the server is sending an incorrect MIME type, which is the webmaster's fault not yours.

3. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

it's happened on at least 3 different sites to my recollection.

This is a link to a file I am trying to download. The file should be operating in the program traktor as a .tsi file. When I save it, it saves as *.tsi.xml and doesn't work. As an icon in my finder it's just a page with writing on it.

ps. I assure you this file is safe for download if you could possibly give it a go and see if yours does the same?
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V7YQDC6F

cheers

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could be sending me the nastiest malware in the world and it wouldn't matter since I don't have to open it in order to test your problem.

Interestingly enough, the file downloaded for me as Kontrol One v1.2.tsi.colloquytranscript. (Colloquy is an IRC client that I have installed.) But yes, the file is clearly being interpreted by the server as an XML file, almost certainly because it is. The .tsi extension is a kind of XML file, but since the servers don't know what .tsi means, they just announce it as a plain ol' XML file. That's not how the server should work in that case, but it's an understandable mistake.

I won't get into any more specifics, but in short: I think you're stuck with renaming the files as you download 'em. You could try downloading with the trial versions of a browser-integrated download manager like Leech or Speed Download, but no promises.

5. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I've tried to just delete the .xml extension but it still stays inoperable. Is that what you mean by renaming it?

I'll give those programs a go. cheers

6. phantomic macrumors member

phantomic

Try an alternative browser i had this problem with a certain file in firefox a simple switch to safari seemed to fix the issue.

7. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

yeah cheers I used firefox to get it and it works.
    thanks peeps