Downside of installing iOS 7 beta?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ritmomundo, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I've got a jailbroken iphone 5, and a registered developers account. Ive never installed a beta before, so I dont know many specifics. Aside from losing my JB tweaks (obviously), and not being able to downgrade back to iOS 6, are there any other downsides to installing iOS 7 beta? And does Apple collect a lot of data from beta users?

Just trying to weigh the pros and cons before doing something irreversible. Thanks

2. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

Well, if it is even a possibility that you will want to give the phone to someone else before IOS7 is officially released, DON'T do it, or downgrade it first.

Last year, I had upgraded to the iOS 6 beta, then later gave the phone to my brother in law. On the day that the beta expired, I saw a report that it was expiring, and the phone would just stop working unless upgraded to GM.

Well, he was out on the road. So he was without a phone for a couple days, and my sister ended up going to an Apple store when he returned to get it fixed.

3. Saberon macrumors 6502a

So much misinformation

A DFU restore will let you go back to iOS 6

When IOS 6 beta 1 came out it said you couldn't go back to iOS 5, yet you could with a dfu restore

4. ILOVEMYMBP2.2g macrumors regular

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g

can you please confirm this for sure before I put ios 7 on my phone

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You can control what Apple can "Take" insofar as data, compared to a non-beta version.

You can revert to iOS 6 as Apple is still signing it at present.

7. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

yup this, been doing it on iOS 5 & 6 Beta to downgrade to "current" signed iOS.

8. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Thanks for the replies everyone. You eased my mind a little.

9. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Reputable ones?

10. bobdigi macrumors regular

First of all, its a Beta 1 of the new OS. Expect many bugs/issues/etc. I would not put it on my main phone, but thats just me. Do not expect everything to work perfectly.

11. ethereal45 macrumors regular

In my experience with the ios 5 and 6 betas, there were no bugs that were that made me wish I wasn't running the beta. To be honest, I don't think I ever noticed anything really out of the ordinary.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Everything that I had with jailbreaking has been fulfilled with iOS 7 except for quick reply to text. I'm gonna miss that alot.

14. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Just installed ios 7 beta one my iPhone 5 tmobile version 2 hours ago. It is way better than I excepted, I still haven't found any bugs yet. Ps if you wish to get ios 7 on your iPhone, download it then in iTunes press shift and update not restore. It worked perfectly for me without developer account or udid. Then I just went to settings and reset all setting, not all data and settings but settings only. And I will continue to use this beta on my main phone.

15. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

this

and small glitches here and there that are petty

16. Nimrad macrumors 6502

Will I lose any of my information on my phone when upgrading?

17. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I'm running the beta and I must admit very stable for a beta . iPhone 5 is running very smooth . I'm loving this iOS 7 . Sooooo clean and elegant !

----------

No , just do a normal backup and when you restore , restore your information from last backup just like any regular iOS .

18. Ben1l macrumors regular

How and where do you choose the amount of info that is delivered to apple whilst running the ios 7 beta?

19. Zombiechow macrumors newbie

It's performing very nicely. I love the new design, transitions, everything!

Ultimately, though, I uninstalled it. Many apps that i frequently use (such as skype) crash on startup.

20. JAISULLIVAN macrumors newbie

Guys,

Can any of you tell me if TomTom for iPhone is running smoothly on iOS7 B1? Want to update but need to use this app frequently.

Cheers.

21. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

GPS seems to be non functioning, other that that, minus a little lag here and there and some random odd message glitching on that screen, it seems awesome to me.

22. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Honestly, what does that mean, "when the beta expires". How is this so?
    One day the iPhone is working properly- on IOS7 beta, and the next it is not?

If I simply charge my iPhone with a wall charger and don't have iCloud set up how can my IOS expire and if so, how does it make my iPhone useless?

23. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

The beta's are set to expire after a certain date whether the iPhone is using icloud or not.

Apple typically release the next beta before the expiration date, sometimes it's fairly close to it.

You have two choices when the beta is due to expire either upgrade to the latest beta or downgrade to a signed version of iOS.

24. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Thanks for your response, it is sincerely appreciated. I suppose, just as a learning exercise, I'd like to know how Apple does that.

No connection to iTunes, yet my iPhone knows when to expire a beta software within?

Just curious how that takes place.

25. R4z3r macrumors member

Same as free trials on a computer. They expire whether you connect to the internet or not often. You usually just sign the code so it has an expiration, set the date, than anytime that software is installed it will have the specified expiration date.