Downside of Swift: Porting to Other Platforms

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MICHAELSD, Jun 3, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Wouldn't a major downside of Swift be porting apps to other platforms? If I want to write an app then bring it to PC, Android, or consoles it seems Objective-C is more proven for this task. Swift basically limits to iOS and Mac.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

How well do you think Objective-C is supported now on PC, Android, or consoles?

I'm not disagreeing with the portability of Swift. I'm just not seeing a big difference with Objective-C's portability.

3. 1458279 Suspended

If you want, you can write a lot of wrappers around the key parts of a program.

Example, you can write as many key routines you can in C or C++ and then write the Swift or ObjC only as needed. If you do this some of the code would cross over. This could work with something that has a bunch of special routines and would be less worthwhile if it's using a bunch of API calls and they won't transfer well, if at all.

However, depending on what you are developing, I really don't know if cross platform native code is practical.

Languages like Swift/ObjC really don't have an effect on someone using something like Unity. This is one of the upsides of using a product like that.