Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
I swore off Best Buy long ago, but after deciding to buy a 3g iPad on Friday, it's my only option within 175 miles. In fact, I've never even been to an Apple store for that very reason. So before waiting in line to get one later this week, are there any real downsides to buying from Best Buy that I should be aware of?

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
The downside to buying at Best Buy is that you will be buying at Best Buy. But if you can get it on Friday, maybe it will be worth it, and maybe nothing will go wrong?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
None at all. Just be sure which model you want and decide if you are going to buy their warranty or go with either AppleCare or SquareTrade before you go in.

It's the same price and has the same one year warranty, so there is no difference.

subigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Call if your BB will carry them.

I asked today and the guy I talked to said they will definitely have them, but don't know how many. Then told me he "heard rumors there would be 30".

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I swore off Best Buy long ago, but after deciding to buy a 3g iPad on Friday, it's my only option within 175 miles. In fact, I've never even been to an Apple store for that very reason. So before waiting in line to get one later this week, are there any real downsides to buying from Best Buy that I should be aware of?

There is zero downside to buying from Best Buy. The warranty and replacement support is the same wherever you buy it, and the return policy is more generous at Best Buy than at the Apple store.

I bought my first 2 iphones at Apple Stores waiting in line each time. The third time, I was waiting in line for 45 minutes, and they were quoting 1-2 hours still to go when an AT&T employee rode by on a bike and said his store 4 blocks away had no line.

Guess what - nobody budged from the Apple store line. The fanboys just couldn't go to AT&T. I left the line, walked into the AT&T store. Got served immediately and was out early on launch day with a 3GS.

A couple of months later I had a screen problem. I took it into the Apple Store, and they swapped the device. No problem - just the same as if I had bought it from them.

I pre-ordered the iPad from Apple. But if I were going to a store, I'd go wherever has the shortest line or most convenience. If I can't pre-order my iPhone 4 - it will definitely be coming from the AT&T store again.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I asked yesterday in DC. The person really had no idea.

If you ask someone and they say yes, will be on sale at 5pm like the Apple store?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
My guess is that the best chance at getting one the soonest is to preorder it while Apple is still delivering by FedEx on May 7. Things are going to get increasingly tight when they start shipping overseas, and I'll bet iPad stock in Best Buy, even in the Apple stores, will be constrained for quite awhile.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I think the only downside is the fact BB will likely have limited supply as they did with the Wifi launch. All the warranty and Apple support are still exactly the same, if anything you gain the advantage of a 45 day, no restocking fee if your a Silver Rewards member at BB vs the 14 day, maybe a restocking fee at an Apple location. Should you end up not liking the iPad and wanting to return it.

If BB had let me reserve one on launch day I would have as their store is about 15 miles close to me than the Apple store. I have no need to return it, but it's always nice to have that option when buying a device you have not been able to use for a bit.

subigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
I asked yesterday in DC. The person really had no idea.

If you ask someone and they say yes, will be on sale at 5pm like the Apple store?

Yeah, I was told 5pm on Friday is when they could officially start selling them and that they would be giving out tickets to people in line, whenever the line starts to form.

I'm sure they will sell out fast on day one, but if it's anything like the wifi model, they'll get more a few days later and stock won't be an issue. My Best Buy had over 50 iPads in stock two days ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.