Downside to closing out apps multitasking window?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Bigserver1, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I've had my iPhone 5 now for a bit more than a week now. I love the phone so far, it's my first iPhone after 3.5 years with android. Can't believe it took me this long to switch, lol.

Anyway, I had a question about closing out apps from the multitasking window. In android, closing/killing apps wasn't great for the system and typically caused more issues than it solved. Is it the same way in iOS? I find myself closing out stuff I don't use often pretty regularly, but I want to make sure that I'm not needlessly bogging down the system with unnecessary closures.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Unless the app is actively using location services, there's no reason to close it. Doing so won't harm anything, but it generally won't help either.

3. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

closing apps from the quick launch/multitasking window is the same on iOS and Android

It clears out the RAM used by those apps, but the OS should do this itself if RAM gets low

4. cynics macrumors G3

I don't have any noticeable differences either way. I close them out just to keep the multitasking tray tidy. I keep apps I don't want to have "start over" open like tapatalk. If an app is giving me a problem I'll close it out too.

5. Bigserver1 thread starter macrumors regular

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You don't have to close apps at all. First, even though it's well-known as Multi-tasking Tray the more suitable name is Fast App Switcher, i.e. the one you use to get to recent app quickly. In iOS the OS will handle memory management automatically. You don't have to do anything about it. You should use it to close app only when the app hangs. Closing app won't help you. You just simply waste your time.

7. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

This is not true in all cases. Sometimes you'll find an app that uses location services and doesn't stop using location services even after you've home-buttoned out of it. My MapMyRide app does this all the time, and it's a huge battery drain unless I multitask-kill it.

So, there is some use in killing apps from the multi-task menu.

8. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I have to close apps quite often from the tray on my Ipod Touch, If I dont it starts getting very slow and unresponsive

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yes, some apps are buggy and what you need to do is sending feed back to the developer 'cause Apple Map stop using Location Service once you hit the Home button.
    Again, the whole system is designed to be user-management free. Apple has 7 or so levels of multi-tasking for the developers to choose after all.
    What you need to do is not obsessively closing app but looking for the triangle on the bar.