Downside to turning off backup w/Terminal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Julien, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I used the Terminal command to turn backup off for my iPhone so it syncs fast. Should I turn on backup about one a month to update my backup? Are there any big disadvantages to turning backup off?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Besides not having a current backup of the phone? not really.

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I couldn't care less about iTunes backing up my data off the iPhone (or maybe I could care less since it takes forever). Guess this wasn't done with ver 1.x since it never took so long. I just want to be able to do a system restore incase I have to reset my iPhone.

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It was done in 1.x. It didn't take so long cause there were no apps installed. Plus the crash logs weren't so numerous. There is a separate crash long and plist for every app that crashes. By not doing a backup, if you have to restore your phone you won't have the most up to date information to put on your phone. A lot of the problem could be pointed back to Apple using an all inclusive package for applications. So any change you make to the app triggers the whole app to be backed up. Maybe if there was a way to backup just changes inside the package and not the whole package itself.

5. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

On my original iPhone when I first updated to 2.0 and with no Apps installed or crash log yet it still took about 30 minutes (over twice as long as with ver 1.X).

So if ver 1.x did a full backup it was much more efficient and faster than ver 2.0.