Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Hello, I am really interested in getting an Imac as my first apple computer but i wanted to hear some input from people that already own one have to say about these things:

1. Are there any downsides to buying a mac??? (and any major problems)

2. How do you like it?

3. If you could go back in the past, would you switch your mac with a computer?

Thanks

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
1. I have not run into any. Lots of people initially told me there would be compatibility issues but I never have run into that. I switched 2 and a half years ago.

2. One of the best things I have EVER bought. It makes me much more productive since it just works. At school I run a tech service group and we fix student computers, usually it's all Anti-spyware stuff. It's amazing how well my computer works when I am used to seeing theirs all the time. Manufacturers install so much junk on PC's, it's crazy. It makes me very very happy to come back to my Mac.

3. My Mac is a computer, so why would I switch it with a computer? :confused: I guess you mean PC instead? No way would I ever want to go back. People that use PC's are always so bothered by them (at least by what I see)

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
1) not for me anyways. If you invested in software for xp, you'll have to buy new. Also xp only hardware is the same story. Used to be a bit expensive.

2) I love it. No viruses, things work.

3) whoops misread the question. and no love the three macs i've owned over the years.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
would you switch your mac with a computer?

What the hell have i bought?:D

in regards to your questions though. The one regret i have is not buying the Mac Pro, could have just stretched to it. Would have been a tidier solution in regards to external storage. But that is it.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
I have had my imac for almost a month now. I just love it. The only thing that I seem to be having any problems with is remembering the shortcuts and not being able to use windows media. I have to sit down and try to figure how to get it working.

Plus the aol videos (shows, clips etc from aol) that does not seem to work with my mac.

I have to contact them and find out how come it is not mac compatible.

Other than that I don't have any regrets.

I would have to go and use my windows computer to fix someone's problem and I can not wait to get off of it.

compatiblity wise it isn't bad at all.

Good luck with your mac when you get it and have fun.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Only downside is games can't run "natively" under OSX like the way some of them do under Linux with Cedegra, but in time perhaps that might be solved :)

A downside is rebuying all your software I suppose. However if you are just a pirate it wouldn't hurt you in the least.

b.hicks

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2006
1. I initially had some difficulty finding replacements for the programs that I took for granted on the PC. Things like dvdshrink, mp3joiner, Goldwave. Once I had time to do a little research into some of freeware available for the Mac, that problem went away. The opensource mac programs available are really exceptional.

2. I had a little buyers remorse for the first day or two. I had never used a mac before I bought my macbook. OS X is however, very intuitive and easy to fall in love.

3. Would I go back to a PC. Well, I only bought the macbook to use when travelling. I had a high end PC at home for everything else. Notice the word "had". I only use the macbook now. It really sucked the fun out of using the PC.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
wow... fast replies... and yes i did mean PC for question 3. Also is there a program on it like microsoft word that would let me do schoolwork with?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Hello, I am really interested in getting an Imac as my first apple computer but i wanted to hear some input from people that already own one have to say about these things:

2. How do you like it?

Thanks

1. games, mostly not compatible with OSX, MB/MBP has crappy LCDs
2. I still like it
3. I still would.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Iw00t... so there is a program like MS word, but not as good?

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006

2. How do you like it?

Thanks

Unless you consider using the world's most advanced OS in a virtually virus free fashion a downside- then no, there aren't any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.