Downsides of Buying New 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fasteddie911, Oct 24, 2016.

1. fasteddie911 macrumors newbie

I have a 5s that I bought new 3 years ago that is slowly dying on me. It does everything I need it to do and I'm not a heavy user. I can get a new 5s for under $200, but I'm wondering what are the downsides of purchasing a new 5s now with the hopes of it lasting another 3 years?

2. its Dale macrumors 6502

New 5S? I thought they discontinued them in lieu of the iPhone SE?

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

1) It'd likely cost more to get a new one than just get yours repaired at an Apple Store. Plus it won't be a 'new' one. It'd be a refurb or equivalent.

2) It's a fair few generations old. I have one and I love it, but it's unreasonable to expect brilliant performance with newer iterations of iOS.

3) With the above point in mind, it'd likely be more economically viable to upgrade, especially if you're concerned about longevity. A 6S/SE or above: I'd say you wouldn't need to worry.

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

Saving more today will cost you more tomorrow. A 5S likely won't last, and is sure to be unsupported sooner than later.

Pony up and get an SE now instead and you'll be good for a few years.

5. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

How much more would it cost to get a used SE given they start at $399 new from Apple? For that extra money, you get:
    • A processor 2 years newer
    • Double the RAM
    • Better camera
    • Better battery life
    • Likely to be supported for at least 1-2 years beyond the 5S, maybe longer with the extra RAM
    If you can at all afford it, get an SE. You'll be getting a much better value, even if the up front cost is greater.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I'm usually the guy who argues that you don't need to get the latest devices and that for most users they are actually overkill, but buying a "new" 5s today with the hopes of it lasting another 3 years? That's pushing it! I would suggest getting an SE.