Downsides to e-bay Applecare?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fredhargis, May 23, 2008.

1. fredhargis macrumors newbie

I learned of the e-bay Applecare programs from this site. Applecare is something I normally wouldn't buy, but the e-bay price is quite attractive. Is there any downside or watchouts on buying this off e-bay?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just be sure the seller is legitimate (a high feedback rating) and accepts Paypal.

3. chscag macrumors 65816

If the price is quite attractive (significantly lower than what Apple sells it for or what the authorized Apple dealers on the web are charging) I would stay away from it.

Even if the seller accepts PayPal, you can still lose money. Using PayPal or even a credit card is no guaranty that you won't be out $$$. Think of it this way... you buy Applecare from an eBay seller and 6 months from now your Mac needs to be repaired. You find out Apple will not honor what you purchased. You're screwed. :eek:

Regards.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

In all of the threads like this (which seem to pop up weekly, with lots of people saying they've bought AppleCare from eBay), I've never heard of that happening. Do you have a link to a story or anything?

FWIW, most eBay AppleCare sales have always been significantly lower in price than Apple or Apple authorized resellers sell it for.

5. donmei macrumors regular

Just excercise due diligence and you will be fine. I've purchased ebay Applecare contracts for my wife's Ipod and my mother's macbook.

In both cases I confirmed the apple part number with the seller. That is the biggest risk, that you will buy the wrong applecare product.

other than that, the cautions that some people said above are simply incorrect.

If you use a credit card you ARE guaranteed not to lose money. It may take you a bit of time to set up the dispute, but you WILL get your money back.

Pretty much the same it true for paypal. I recently disputed some VMWare fusion I purchased. It was advertised as unopened and was in fact opened and used. I disputed it via Paypal and got all my money back. Including shipping.

Your case will be much weaker if you legitimately purchase the wrong product. So like I said, confirm what the correct part number is on apple.com and confirm the seller's number, and you hsould be fine.

Also, once you get the applecare, call apple to activate it. Then you will know if you have a problem. dont try to finesse it by waiting until you have a problem.

6. donmei macrumors regular

aristobrat - the applecare contracts I bought for my mom and my wife were both less thatn 50% of retail.

7. DaveF macrumors 6502a

How does this work? How do eBay sellers get AppleCare contracts at below-retail prices? Why can't we buy them directly from the same place as the auctioners?

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I don't think there is a down side. I got my mac mini plan from an ebay seller for a great discount. I called apple before I bought it and they said as long as it was sealed in box that it was just like buying it from the apple store.

I think they buy them in lots, like at a store closure. Probably an apple reseller, not an "apple" store. The plans come in a sealed box you know.

9. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

There is always going to be a risk from buying from ebay. I personally would not do it but that is me. It might be ok. I would make sure as soon as you get it immeditately call apple care and make sure it works

10. Col127 macrumors 6502

i purchased applecare for my mac pro from ebay for around $100 US. it was brand new and sealed in package and it worked absolutely great :) i would always buy my applecare from ebay in the future!

11. fredhargis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for your opinions. I think I'll go ahead and get one, but I did ask to confirm the part number as suggested. As always, great advice on this forum!:D

12. Col127 macrumors 6502

13. Dimanche macrumors newbie

Tempted to buy from ebay, but

found in a couple of websites that you need to make sure in the case of an iMac (which is what I have), that Applecare needs to be purchased in the country where you will be using the computer.

Say for example that on ebay a seller in Australia is offering an iMac Applecare, if I purchased it and later needed it for the iMac, supposedly it would not be accepted by Apple.

Apparently, the country restriction does not apply to laptops. If anyone knows differently, you may want to post that information here.

14. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Ebay sellers generally buy "lots" from businesses going out of business, often for very little money. They then sell what they bought for less than the cost of retail. Everyone gets a good deal, provided you buy from a reputable seller. I generally look for a feedback score of above 99%.
    Morod

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Go with a highly rated volume seller and there is not a downside.

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I bought Applecare from L.A. Computer (a slightly more expensive, safe and secure alternative to eBay auctions still FAR cheaper than buying from Apple directly) in the USA for my Japan Apple Store-purchased iMac and it worked fine. Applecare coverage is global.

17. fredhargis thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I lucked out, but I bought mine and authorized it right away, and even received the official notice form Apple (in the mail, no less) that I'm good to go. I did wonder about the country of origin stuff, since some of the listing were Canadian, and I'm in the US. But everything's good at this point.

18. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It's just a registration number and it works regardless of where you bought your machine or the Applecare coverage was packaged.

Rest assured you're good for the full 3 years. :D

19. Dimanche macrumors newbie

SaSaSushi- Thank you for the first-hand information.

I take it that you have already used or registered your U.S. bought Applecare in Japan.

20. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, I have indeed. :D

Of course I can't guarantee that everyone else everywhere else will have the same results but it is a pretty good indication that they should.

21. Dimanche macrumors newbie

Guess what...

I called the Apple support center to ask them directly regarding the purchase of an Applecare protection plan in a country other than where the iMac was purchased. Since the rep wasn't sure, I prodded him. He put me on hold and took the time to check with someone else. Unfortunately :(, he then confirmed what I had read elsewhere - that if my iMac was purchased in the U.S., only an Applecare protection plan purchased in the U.S. or Canada would be honored.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I bought mine on eBay and had no problems. I didn't get the retail kit (which I didn't need). Instead, I e-mailed the guy my PowerBook's serial number, he set everything up, and a couple weeks later, I got the official AppleCare letter in the mail. And I know it was good because I later had to get my PowerBook repaired under the extended warranty and didn't have any problems

23. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

And I'm telling you that I don't care what they say I'm living proof that it works just fine on a Mac bought anywhere.

I bought my iMac in Japan and my Applecare in the USA. It's registered and I've already had the machine serviced several times under the plan. ;)

24. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Crap,i've bought a iMac & MBP's in the states bought them back to the UK & then bought applecare and have had to then take them into UK stores,no questions have ever been asked

oh nearly forgot the plans were bought of ebay

25. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I never really thought about doing that on e-bay, but what a good idea. It sounds like it works out well for most people as well.

My cousin's fiancee just bought a macbook and didn't have the extra 183.00 for applecare right now, so I'll be sure to tell her to get the applecare from ebay.

Thanks for the good topic