Downsized from 15" C2D to 13" i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tamvly, May 9, 2011.

1. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I just downsized from my old Santa Rosa 15" C2D Macbook Pro - bought new in 2007 - to a new 13" i5. A few observations and a question.

I sold my old laptop for almost $700 on CL (it was in perfect condition with original packaging + two batteries) and bought the new one for $999 at Best Buy (price match). I figured four years for a laptop was enough. So this was a pretty good trade up (down?).

First of all, it says something about the Apple brand that a four year old laptop can fetch $700. I can't see a used Wintel machine going for that much. Heck, you can get a new one for that price.

The new 13 is noticeably quicker than the old 15. And I certainly like the reduced weight. I only use this laptop for notes and browsing, so it's not as if I really need the extra screen real estate for anything complicated. I have a Mac Pro desktop at home for other work.

Clearly, the i5 runs a LOT hotter than the C2D. Not to worry, as this seems normal according to the forums I've read. Fortunately, I don't need to hold it on my lap.

Maybe it's just me, but the new Apple laptops don't seem to be made quite as sturdy as the older models. Could it be that I just prefer the aluminum finish on the older models?

Can't say that I like the glossy screen much, although I guess I am getting used to it. Chalk it up to personal preference. If Apple had offered a matte screen I might have gone for it. But then again it wouldn't have been $999.

I am considering upgrading to a SATA II SSD. I wonder if anyone has installed the Intel 310 on an 13 i5? I really don't need the speed of a OWC 6G monster, but would appreciate a quicker boot.

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Yeah, old Apple gear sells for pretty good prices.

However - $999 price match for a 13" MBP is $200 less than regular. Care to tell what price match this was? I know BB has a sale going on for all Apple laptops but those are like $60 off at the most.

About the heat - I have a 2010 i7 17" and it runs cool. So does my wife's 15" from 2010. May be the newer i5/i7s are really hotter or more likely it's the thermal paste issue.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Price match was probably Microcenter. If the computer runs really hot, it may be a thermal paste issue, but I'd check temps first as the unibody design might just transfer more heat outside than the older models did.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Downoad iStat or something similar to check your temps and make sure they aren't crazy hot, but yeah the new mbp's tend to run a little on the hot side, especially compared to pre-unibody designs.

As far as the SSD, I'd stay away from OWC. They offer no way to upgrade the firmware through OSX, so you will either need to install windows through bootcamp or send your drive in every time you want the latest firmware until OWC releases an updater for OSX. Also, if you check the anand review, there is a soldered wire inside the drive to remedy a production problem they had. Some may not care... I personally wouldn't spend the money they are asking for one though with those problems.

The Intel drives have a reputation for being the most reliable, and are plenty fast. Unless you are always dealing with huge files or you just want the fastest ssd (typically OCZ takes the crown) I would go with the Intel.

5. tamvly thread starter macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Yes, I'm using iStat to look at temperatures. I suppose it could be a thermal paste issue, but I'm not going to screw around with it unless it becomes a real problem.

Yup, it was a Micro Center price match. Can't beat this price. Too bad they didn't have a corresponding 15" price or I would have gone for that. But hey, I am beginning to like the 13" form factor. All in all, I am very pleased.

If I decide on an SSD I'll post results.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

My new MBP runs much cooler than the old one (1st gen 15" 2.8GHz uMBP) by ~1/2. At the moment, my new MBP CPU is at 34C.

7. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Mmm woah that's pretty cool. Don't cheat though, you could be in Siberia for all I know!

I only keep track of my machine's temperatures through smcFanControl and that's as low as it gets (2010 15). Enabling the GPU also increases heat, naturally. But these are normal temperatures, one should only be concerned when it gets unbearably hot (90C)

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

The Intel 320 300GB drive is working great in my 2011 13" 15.

9. mape2k macrumors regular

+1

The 320 is, out of all the choices you have, the most reliable one. I don't think I've read a single complain about compatibility with the 2011 MBPs. I am using it myself in the 300gb version and it works superb, boot and program startup times are blazing fast. Sure, it might have lower read/write performance but unless you do heavy transferring (which you don't do), you won't benefit from the SATAIII speeds much.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yup. You just hit on why the whole "Macs are more expensive" line is bunk. The fact is you can buy a low end $1200 MBP, sell it in two years for $800 and then buy a new low end MBP w/ faster (possibly next gen) proc, faster video card w/ more VRAM, plus whatever other new features popped up the past two years for $400. It's one heck of an upgrade for $400.

11. tamvly thread starter macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Good to hear about the 320. I don't need that much capacity, but a 120 or 160 might be just right.

12. tamvly thread starter macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Yes, I think it's possible to work the brand to one's advantage. It helps a lot that I took great care of my old 15 and kept the original packaging.

Timing is also important. I bought a 2x8 2.8 GHz Mac Pro the week it went end-of-life for $1,800. I'll do another switch when the Sandy Bridge Pros hit the streets and expect to get a big chunk back for the old machine.