Downsizing MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by melj256, Aug 13, 2010.

1. melj256 macrumors newbie

Hello folks. Would appreciate some insight on the following.

I have a MacBook Pro that I no longer need the full capabilities of. The thing is, I want an extra laptop around that has the same look and feel hardware wise. I know very little about the inside of the computer. Would it be possible to "gut" the inside and replace it with cheaper parts? Or boot from an external? I would need it for only very limited tasks. The point is that it's in great working condition and I'm sure I could get a good amount for it if it was sold, so as a a compromise possibly sell the most valuable parts and then make something new with the shell. Hope this makes sense. Would really appreciate any assistance. Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why don't you sell the MBP and get an older Unibody 13" MBP or MB?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

there's very little you can replace inside. RAM and HD can be replaced but that's all and that wouldn't save you much. Most of the system is on the logic board and there are no "cheaper" logic boards.

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Sorry, but not going to work. The shell was made for the logic board they put inside. It's not just a mac thing, laptops in general aren't as easily parts swappable as desktops.

You'd be better off either keeping the macbook if you don't need the money. If you do need the money maybe either selling the macbook and buying a cheap used PC laptop (they'll be much cheaper), or a used macbook that is either older or smaller or both (you probably won't be able to find as big a price difference unless you are willing to go really old, like ibook/powerbook though especially if your macbook isn't pretty new).

5. melj256 thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the responses guys. Am going to look at all my options. But now let me ask also...what would the going rate be for the main parts if I did sell them, individually? Logic board, screen, etc.

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Why? I can't imagine you'd get more for them then just selling the computer as a whole unless the computer has some major issue and is not worth repairing.