Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eish2306

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
with the increased screen size - has anyone else gone from 42 to 40 instead of going up to 44?

no1gooner

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
Yes I did, went from a 42mm series 3 to a 40mm series 4 and am very pleased with the overall look and fit, the old 38mm was that bit to small so went with the old 42mm which was ok but I’ve found the new 40mm to be the perfect size for my slim wrists.

Reactions: Elmo1938

Jason Hensley

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2018
I went from 42 to 44, but it was an actual decision to ponder on this time for me. The 44 does fit better than I expected with how slim the S4's are.

Soordhin

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Berlin, Germany
I'm really pondering this issue. I ordered a 44 coming from a 42 SS Series 0, so it won't be any slimmer, but it will be slightly larger and i have really small wrists. But since i had a budget for a ceramic version which is not available i might simply get a 40 additionally. As there seems to be a supply shortage for all models (ordered right after the new watch was available, delivery 2nd to 9th october..., current order would be November), i might have to wait a bit though to compare them.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Honestly? The S4 form factor increase is barely noticeable. Side by side? Sure. You see it But even then not dramatic.

But the screen size increase is massive and obvious every time you see it.

Unless the 42 felt too big I wouldn’t drop down in size. At least try a 44 and drool on the screen before you decide...

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I'm seeing a lot of photos in the show off your watch thread and thinking "Nope! The 44 is clearly too big for you".

Reactions: DennisdeWit

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I'm seeing a lot of photos in the show off your watch thread and thinking "Nope! The 44 is clearly too big for you".

Make sure you're not swayed by the close up pictures which, because of photography blah blah blah, distort the heck out the proportions. Look more at the ones further back, where you can see a bunch of forearm...not just a close up of a watch on a wrist.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Can't imagine going smaller and I have small wrists. Once you see the 44 display on your wrists, impossible to go smaller to me.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Honestly? The S4 form factor increase is barely noticeable. Side by side? Sure. You see it But even then not dramatic.

Agreed. On paper it's about 1.5mm wider and 1.6mm taller. The thickness of a US penny.

Looking at the S4 vs my S3 in the store I found it difficult to discern the difference without lining them up side by side and specifically looking for it. Trying it on, I couldn't really see much difference.

I doubt anyone would ever notice whether someone was wearing an S3 42mm or S4 44mm from size alone. Screen, crown, and corner shape would be the telltales.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Make sure you're not swayed by the close up pictures which, because of photography blah blah blah, distort the heck out the proportions. Look more at the ones further back, where you can see a bunch of forearm...not just a close up of a watch on a wrist.
If the watch lugs hang past your wrist it’s to big. A lot of pictures on the 44mm thread showing it off clearly don’t understand this or care about watch etiquette. There are some that it works for but not everyone.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If the watch lugs hang past your wrist it’s to big. A lot of pictures on the 44mm thread showing it off clearly don’t understand this or care about watch etiquette. There are some that it works for but not everyone.
Admittedly I haven't perused that thread, but there are folks with wrists less than 44mm wide wearing this watch?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Here's a quick example of near vs far. Same S3 and same ugly wrist. Phone camera close vs further away (image cropped).

IMG_6431.jpg
IMG_6434.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanilla35

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
the 40mm screen already looks big to me. not sure why i would need it any bigger. and the watch faces have the same amount of information on both of the sizes.

i would definitely choose style over screen size on this one. take the one you think looks the best on you.
everyone else will see you with the screen turned off 99% of the time.

Reactions: no1gooner

1sazim

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
I went from 42 to 40 and have returned that and ordered the 44! After having the 42mm for my Series 0 and Series 3, it just looked too small on my arm.

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
I was going to an S4 regardless. I felt immediately the 44 was simply too large for me and went with a 40. Took me mere seconds to decide. The 40 just sits in a ‘pocket’ on my wrist. I think my wrist measures 7.5 inches.
It’s only fair I qualify this however, ...I dislike watches I deem too large. To each their own.
My understanding is the display on the new 40 is larger than that of the previous 42. I had an S2 42 for awhile and never felt the display was too small. I’m blind as a bat without reading glasses on so I didn’t think the 44 was going to eliminate my issue. S

Rclewen

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
Batavia, IL
I was going to an S4 regardless. I felt immediately the 44 was simply too large for me and went with a 40. Took me mere seconds to decide. The 40 just sits in a ‘pocket’ on my wrist. I think my wrist measures 7.5 inches.
It’s only fair I qualify this however, ...I dislike watches I deem too large. To each their own.
My understanding is the display on the new 40 is larger than that of the previous 42. I had an S2 42 for awhile and never felt the display was too small. I’m blind as a bat without reading glasses on so I didn’t think the 44 was going to eliminate my issue. S

My wrist is about the same and I thought about going with a 40, but then I remembered the dozen or so 42mm watch bands sitting on my dresser ;) 44mm SB GPS arrives tommorrow :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.