Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Michelle Dockery, best know for her role as Lady Mary Crawley in PBS's "Downton Abbey," has signed on to star in "Defending Jacob," one of the TV shows Apple has ordered.

"Defending Jacob" is a thriller based on William Landay's bestselling novel of the same title. The book covers the murder of a 14-year-old boy and his friend Jacob, who may have committed the crime.

defendingjacob-800x450.jpg
Image credit: Shutterstock​

Described as a character-driven thriller, the show will star Chris Evans and also Jaeden Martell, who starred in the recent remake of Stephen King's "IT."

Evans will be playing Andy Barber, the father of a 14 year old (played by Martell) accused of murder. Dockery will be playing Laurie Barber, Andy's wife and Jacob's mother.

Apple has more than a dozen television shows in the works, and the company is set to give us a first look at its upcoming streaming service on Monday, March 25 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

Article Link: 'Downton Abbey' Star Michelle Dockery and 'IT' Actor Jaeden Martell Join Apple Series 'Defending Jacob'

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Will have to see the first set of shows on Apple TV to figure out their brand but right now Hulu is killing it with Pen15 & Shrill for a clear audience definition.

Which audience demographic is Apple TV targeting?

Reactions: AngstyKylo

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Will have to see the first set of shows on Apple TV to figure out their brand but right now Hulu is killing it with Pen15 & Shrill for a clear audience definition.

Appears to be ‘safe’ movies... Disney for adults. ;)

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Hey Apple.

Pony up some of that big money and invest in these awesome series’s that were sadly not renewed:

1. People of Earth - so funny! Please make more!

2. The Detectorists - such a great tv series from BBC. Money can bring it back I think!

Please add to the list! This is my petition to Apple. Money probably could bring us more seasons of these great shows!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I think they’re targeting me specifically. So far I’ve liked almost everything I’ve read about their planned lineup. And I’m one who gave up on tv several years ago.

So...grumpy moms. But that’s not a bad idea as 90% of the grumpy moms I know have iPhones and other Apple products.

Reactions: sinsin07

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Curious: what about this synopsis suggests "safe"?
I'm joking: ;) The book version is about legal drama (most legal dramas are relatively 'safe', IMO, so that what suggests it).

Also from previous news (and rumors) we have, Apple is heavily curating (or interfering, depending how you look at it) with the creative process of the writers/directors/creators to the point of driving them away. The theme around the curation has been about making it more safe and suitable for family viewing.

When I think a popular curated collection of content suitable for families, I think of Disney.

When I think of the most popular content on HBO & Netflix in recent times, I don't think of safe for family viewing. Especially with Netflix, there's something for everyone. It appears that Apple is aiming for a more 'Disney' slant.

Last edited:

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
snip...right now Hulu is killing it with Pen15 & Shrill for a clear audience definition.
Pony up some of that big money and invest in these awesome series’s that were sadly not renewed:
1. People of Earth - so funny! Please make more!
2. The Detectorists - such a great tv series from BBC. Money can bring it back I think!
Please add to the list! This is my petition to Apple. Money probably could bring us more seasons of these great shows!
The above just goes to show one persons must have shows may be another persons HLL-NO.
Rough guesstimate based on the two shows you listed, probably not you.:D
Don't let your Hulu sub expire. :p

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
The above just goes to show one persons must have shows may be another persons HLL-NO.

Rough guesstimate based on the two shows you listed, probably not you.:D
Don't let your Hulu sub expire. :p

I do not comprehend your potato. What does HLL- NO mean?

You should go and watch those shows because they are awesome and you will enjoy them I guarantee it or your money back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.