Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this 4k@120hz tweak work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 170 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Can not get the right Adapter

Votes: 13 6.5%

• Total voters

R1250Guy

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2022
I think, because the hub, and hdmi combo are on the same port, Apple keeps the hub alive, and therefore the video port does not experience the same issues as the dongle. Can't be sure, but whatever it is, the hub/video combo seems to work better than just the dongle. It would be great if CM can emulate that in a future firmware, as I have a few macs where the dongle could be put to use.

Vlad123x

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2023
After using the dongle (usb-c to hdmi) with a ton of issues. i.e. waking up, etc. The multiport adapter is working fantastic!!!! None of the problems I previously had are happening. I would just skip the dongle and go straight to the multiport unit. Unfortunately, the multiport usb C and standard usb ports on this unit do not support thunderbolt speeds, but what it does do, is support 120hz 4k without all the issues of the usb-c to hdmi unit. Thanks for the firmware. No more unplugging everyday or using third party software to reset.
Which Adapter is this?

Fais Has

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
Hi every one, I figured how to get 4k 120 HDR10 with cable matters USB-C to HDMI 2.1 dongle (201388-A) directly connected to my MacBook Pro M3 Max and LG OLED C2 42". with this dongle even the tv turn OFF and ON automatically for sleep and wake like a normal computer display, before I had to use the tv remote to turn it ON and OFF during sleep and wake while using HDMI 2.1 from Mac to tv with no dongle and no dock station.

but unfortunately I couldn't get this dongle to work through Caldigit TS3.

Can someone confirm for me before buying Caldigit TS4 that is 100% working 4k 120 HDR10 with this dongle on my Mac and has no issues? and I wonder if the automatic wake and sleep will work as well with TS4?

Keep in mind I have a hard drive,Ethernet,Audio interface, web cam,iPad 10 and DSLR camera all connected to TS4!
I wonder if one thunderbolt 4 connected to my Mac can handle all of these devices!

Thanks

Attachments

• tempImage3LqGPV.png
    tempImage3LqGPV.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 82
  • tempImageL9cQzr.png
    tempImageL9cQzr.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 79
  • tempImagepcavIY.png
    tempImagepcavIY.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 79

funkyhog

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
First of all, thanks a lot for your incredible efforts in making 4k 120hz possible on M1 Macs.

I wanted to ask you or anyone here, if this procedure is also expected to unlock 120hz on a 5k2k screen (namely the Dell u4025qw).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Reactions: Vlad123x

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Hi every one, I figured how to get 4k 120 HDR10 with cable matters USB-C to HDMI 2.1 dongle (201388-A) directly connected to my MacBook Pro M3 Max and LG OLED C2 42". with this dongle even the tv turn OFF and ON automatically for sleep and wake like a normal computer display, before I had to use the tv remote to turn it ON and OFF during sleep and wake while using HDMI 2.1 from Mac to tv with no dongle and no dock station.

but unfortunately I couldn't get this dongle to work through Caldigit TS3.

Can someone confirm for me before buying Caldigit TS4 that is 100% working 4k 120 HDR10 with this dongle on my Mac and has no issues? and I wonder if the automatic wake and sleep will work as well with TS4?

Keep in mind I have a hard drive,Ethernet,Audio interface, web cam,iPad 10 and DSLR camera all connected to TS4!
I wonder if one thunderbolt 4 connected to my Mac can handle all of these devices!

Thanks
How does u enable DCC or CEC over HDMI ?

Jashi

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023
Strange, when I try it it says VMM USB chip is not connected, even though if I do the exact same thing with the 201388-A it lets me through. I should still be using the software from the microsoft store, correct?

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Strange, when I try it it says VMM USB chip is not connected, even though if I do the exact same thing with the 201388-A it lets me through. I should still be using the software from the microsoft store, correct?
Did u connect an USB-C PD Cable to it ? The blue LED must be light on and a DP ALT HDMI Device must be connected.

Jashi

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023
Yes, both of these should not be the problem. I think my problem is passing through the usb to the VM. I can only select the "USB 10/100/1000 LAN" option, since that is the only one visible in parallels. Could that be the problem?

Jashi

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023
Did you actually manage to flash it with parallels yourself or was that an assumption? Because I have still not managed to make it work and I tried really hard.

sodaboy581

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
So that is two reports so far of the new CM 201310 working flawlessly.

Hopefully more people share their experiences. Could this finally be the solution that doesn't just end up as a cat-and-mouse game with Apple breaking things and CM needing to release firmware to fix it?

I hope so.
I have flashed my 201310 with firmware received via email from Cable Matters.

I'm using it with a Macbook Air M1 connected to a Samsung S90C at 4K 120.

I still have issues with waking up with the 201310, though.

If I set my display to sleep after 2 hours, I'll come back to a login screen with "WindowServer has quit unexpectedly" error after unlocking. (Not that big of a deal, but a little annoying, and some notifications can't be dismissed unless I lock and unlock the screen again.)

If I set the display to not sleep at all, then sometimes I'll come back and I can't wake the screen unless I unplug the 201310 from the Macbook and plug it back in.

So, yeah, the wake issue is still there with the 201310, surprisingly.

• Sad
Reactions: testerster

Inf235

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
I recently purchased a 201398-BLK to connect my iPad and iPhone to external displays. When I connected my iPad and iPhone to my LG C2 while the adapter was on the stock firmware, the background was red instead of black and the colours were messed up. Weirdly, it happened only with the C2. Other screens were fine.

Then, I found this thread and flashed the 4k120hz firmware to the adapter, which fixed the issue. The iPhone even outputs Dolby vision now. Has anyone else noticed this issue with their adapter and LG C2?

funkyhog

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
First of all, thanks a lot for your incredible efforts in making 4k 120hz possible on M1 Macs.

I wanted to ask you or anyone here, if this procedure is also expected to unlock 120hz on a 5k2k screen (namely the Dell u4025qw).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Anyone? Thanks!

Vlad123x

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2023
new hub has to be flashed right, can it be done directly through mac or still windows and requires parallels?

Fais Has

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
I think there is an firmwareupdate for the CalDigit TS3 Plus. The CalDigit TS3 Plus have some limitation on tb 4 Ports. Iam not sure but somone says there was a firmware fix for the CalDigit TS3 Plus. So plz check if there is an firmware update for this.

U can also use an DP > HDMI 2.1 Adapter. Read the OP plz. But I think the TS3 has only an DP 1.2 Port. So I think the TS3 can not deliver this bandwidth, go with the newer TS4
Are you sure with ts4 I can get 4K 120 hdr 10 from my MacBook m3 max to lg c2 using cable matters thunderbolt to hdmi 2.1?

Fais Has

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
Interestingly, the wake-up works fine (after several hours of inactivity), for 3rd day in a row. I haven't modified anything nor updating macOS. I saw that my LG C2 was updating its firmware few days ago, so that is my only suspicion, that something had been changed there, which now solved the problem for me.
Same thing happen to me!! next day wake-up and sleep are turning my LG C2 tv ON and OFF automatically! I couldn’t do that with hdmi 2.1 only without this dongle! the only question I have does it work the same with Caldigit TS4?

Andrii88

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
Hi to all!
I have LG oled 55B9PLA and Mac Mini 2014. In Mac OS Catalina I can chose scaled resolution: 1080p with 120Hz
Looks like this picture, but 120hz instead 60Hz:
after-all-resolutions-shown-display-mac-os-x.jpg

I bought a mac mini M2 base last month, and with New Mac OS Ventura I don't see the same 1080p, only 1920x1080 with max 60hz refresh rate (picture for example):
macos-ventura-13-0-1-wrong-standard-display-resolution-more-v0-he0ktu3se33a1.jpg

I'm very sad about this. I dont feel big difference between mac mini 2014 120hz and M2 on 60hz...I'm use the same hdmi 2.0 cable for both, also tried cable from PS5. Everytime 60hz for Full HD is maximum. Can someone help me? I need only 1920x1080 with 120 hz.

update: better display help me
1709993409142.png

Last edited:

he7den

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
I do have the same issues w/ flashing the 2012310-BLK multiport adapter using macOS with Parallels Desktop and Windows 11.

Did u connect an USB-C PD Cable to it ? The blue LED must be light on and a DP ALT HDMI Device must be connected.

Did exactly that.

Yes, both of these should not be the problem. I think my problem is passing through the usb to the VM. I can only select the "USB 10/100/1000 LAN" option, since that is the only one visible in parallels. Could that be the problem?
Same for me!

Did you actually manage to flash it with parallels yourself or was that an assumption? Because I have still not managed to make it work and I tried really hard.

Did you have any success yet? Does anyone else have an idea or trick that we don't know?

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I do have the same issues w/ flashing the 2012310-BLK multiport adapter using macOS with Parallels Desktop and Windows 11.

Did exactly that.

Same for me!

Did you have any success yet? Does anyone else have an idea or trick that we don't know?
Looks like a driver is missing in parallels windows ? Can u take a look into device manager ?

I flash the adapter with an surface pro go

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Hi to all!
I have LG oled 55B9PLA and Mac Mini 2014. In Mac OS Catalina I can chose scaled resolution: 1080p with 120Hz
Looks like this picture, but 120hz instead 60Hz:
after-all-resolutions-shown-display-mac-os-x.jpg

I bought a mac mini M2 base last month, and with New Mac OS Ventura I don't see the same 1080p, only 1920x1080 with max 60hz refresh rate (picture for example):
macos-ventura-13-0-1-wrong-standard-display-resolution-more-v0-he0ktu3se33a1.jpg

I'm very sad about this. I dont feel big difference between mac mini 2014 120hz and M2 on 60hz...I'm use the same hdmi 2.0 cable for both, also tried cable from PS5. Everytime 60hz for Full HD is maximum. Can someone help me? I need only 1920x1080 with 120 hz.
Use the stock firmware. Dont use the custom firmware for the CM Adapter.

he7den

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
Looks like a driver is missing in parallels windows ? Can u take a look into device manager ?

I flash the adapter with an surface pro go

Here are two screenshots from the device manager.

Unfortunately, I don't have another device w/ usb-c video support. :/

Attachments

• displays-hid-monitors.jpg
    displays-hid-monitors.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 43
  • usb-controllers.jpg
    usb-controllers.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 46
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.