Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this 4k@120hz tweak work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 167 85.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Can not get the right Adapter

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Hmmm, I mentioned that I got the firmware for the 201310 from CM and flashed it back in January...

That being said, I am still having wake from sleep issues with the CM 201310. Not that big of a deal- I just unplug and replug and it works- but it is a bit of an annoyance. Would installing BetterDisplay help fix this issue? Any other reasons to install BetterDisplay for using this adapter?
Hmm there are others without any problems. We have to wait more reviews about that. Yes BD have some features.

Jashi

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023
I have the 201310 and I experience wake issues and my adapter also sometimes resets itself randomly, resulting in my tv losing signal, then regaining it instantly. I can tell the entire adapter resets since I can hear the charging sound from my macbook after this happens.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I have the 201310 and I experience wake issues and my adapter also sometimes resets itself randomly, resulting in my tv losing signal, then regaining it instantly. I can tell the entire adapter resets since I can hear the charging sound from my macbook after this happens.
Do u use an 60W+ PD ?

Last edited:

blazinsmokey

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2023
I’ve been following this thread for quite some time and honestly this is starting to be more of a Cables Matters as/solutions thread rather than just a solutions thread.

The best solution I gathered from reading the entire thread is to get a Dell HD22Q (VMM62211) and use a custom EDID. It’s a bit more expensive but it also has more functionality. Would be nice to be able to use a custom EDID without software at all but Better Display is pretty slick.

The commenter on this thread about his findings has a Reddit post here https://www.reddit.com/r/UsbCHardware/s/lL3Mt5beTD

There has to be other docks utilizing the same chipset VMM6211 with HDMI 2.1 and is Display Port 1.4 compliant.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I’ve been following this thread for quite some time and honestly this is starting to be more of a Cables Matters as/solutions thread rather than just a solutions thread.

The best solution I gathered from reading the entire thread is to get a Dell HD22Q (VMM62211) and use a custom EDID. It’s a bit more expensive but it also has more functionality. Would be nice to be able to use a custom EDID without software at all but Better Display is pretty slick.

The commenter on this thread about his findings has a Reddit post here https://www.reddit.com/r/UsbCHardware/s/lL3Mt5beTD

There has to be other docks utilizing the same chipset VMM6211 with HDMI 2.1 and is Display Port 1.4 compliant.
No ure are not right. It's a solution thread. CM was the only manufacturer that worked with us to get a Plug&Play solution. An EDID version already existed with VMM6100 and this is also in the OP described. Working solution with EDID DP-Transportstream override are possible on many devices, but has to be testet. I will update the OP with that new VMM6* version. But you must be aware that this has been proven for the time being with the firmware 6.05.000. It may be that it does not work with another firmware version from Dell!

Last edited:

Rumoriver

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2024
It's not such a big deal, but the standby issue still seems to exist. Sometimes it fails to wake up.
Adapter: Cable Matters 201310-BLK
Firmware: CM Firmware 4k 120hz 4-4-4 HDR 201310
Monitor: LG C3

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
It's not such a big deal, but the standby issue still seems to exist. Sometimes it fails to wake up.
Adapter: Cable Matters 201310-BLK
Firmware: CM Firmware 4k 120hz 4-4-4 HDR 201310
Monitor: LG C3
Some times is not every time. My 201388-A connected over an TB4 Dock does sometimes also not wake up ended in an error. But this is only once in 2 week or so.

darksavior

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
Success! I flashed my Anker 518 usb-c to hdmi 2.1 adapter via Parallels. One minor problem. It works at 120Hz but not at 144Hz. Switching to 144Hz will give me a black screen. Is there a fix? I used VMM7100_4kRGB120hz10b_V7_02_112.fullrom

Today I had to re-insert the adapter because my monitor wouldn't wake up. Ugh. Dell G3223Q.

Last edited:

sultanmehmet

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024
So guys I've been dealing with this for HOURS! First post here after reading a lot and following all the steps. Finally bit the bullet and bought the CableMatters 102101 so I could hook it up to my M2 Mac Mini. Flashed the firmware correctly on Windows (twice), double checked everything, hooked the M2 Mac mini up to my LG C1.

The chain goes: LG -> HDMI 2.1 -> CableMatters HMDI 2.1 to DP -> uGreen DP to USB-C (rated for 8K60/4K144) -> Mac Mini M2.

When hooking it up for the first time everything seems to work (4K60), I set the input to PC and switched the refresh rate to 120hz (which now became visible for the first time) only to get a black screen. It then does not revert and I have to use betterdisplay and the HDMI 2.0 port to get an image back by using betterdisplay's configuration protection.

Please help. I have the input set to PC, I have HDMI deep color enabled. All the HDMI 2.0 resolutions and refresh rates work (1080@120, 1440p@60, 4k@60) but as soon as I set it to 1440p@120 or 4k@120 I get a black screen.
Tried it with 3 different HDMI cables including the one I usually use with my PS5 (@4k120).

Also confirmed that my CableMatters adapter is indeed VMM7100 through the updater software.

Link to the uGreen: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0C4DC6P4H?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:

Charlie Bun

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2020

Wait wait wait, are you telling me the awesome dock I have been eyeing since I saw it in an LTT video, works? Do you know if the firmware affects the DP port? Because all of the sudden, that dock becomes from would be cool to I must get it!

Charlie Bun

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2020
So guys I've been dealing with this for HOURS! First post here after reading a lot and following all the steps. Finally bit the bullet and bought the CableMatters 102101 so I could hook it up to my M2 Mac Mini. Flashed the firmware correctly on Windows (twice), double checked everything, hooked the M2 Mac mini up to my LG C1.

The chain goes: LG -> HDMI 2.1 -> CableMatters HMDI 2.1 to DP -> uGreen DP to USB-C (rated for 8K60/4K144) -> Mac Mini M2.

When hooking it up for the first time everything seems to work (4K60), I set the input to PC and switched the refresh rate to 120hz (which now became visible for the first time) only to get a black screen. It then does not revert and I have to use betterdisplay and the HDMI 2.0 port to get an image back by using betterdisplay's configuration protection.

Please help. I have the input set to PC, I have HDMI deep color enabled. All the HDMI 2.0 resolutions and refresh rates work (1080@120, 1440p@60, 4k@60) but as soon as I set it to 1440p@120 or 4k@120 I get a black screen.
Tried it with 3 different HDMI cables including the one I usually use with my PS5 (@4k120).

Also confirmed that my CableMatters adapter is indeed VMM7100 through the updater software.

Link to the uGreen: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0C4DC6P4H?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Maybe you should cut the middle man and get the USB C to HDMI 2.1 adapter from cable matters

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021

U only need a USB C > HDMi 2.1 Adapter

wtlim

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
hi, i tried to flash the adapter that have the vmm7100 chip but I flashed the wrong firmware now how do i flash it back? I got back up the rom of the original adapter

blazinsmokey

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2023
Wait wait wait, are you telling me the awesome dock I have been eyeing since I saw it in an LTT video, works? Do you know if the firmware affects the DP port? Because all of the sudden, that dock becomes from would be cool to I must get it!
You likely don't need to do anything with the firmware on it at all, it just straight up works w/ EDID override. And if you do need to do any firmware flashing you can get the official version from Dell. There's no hack involved at the firmware level, just software EDID override. That's why I think it's one of the better solutions and more out of the box than the ones requiring unofficial firmware updates.

chargerinthebox

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2023
A bit off-topic but is there a thunderbolt 4 dock like the HD22Q that lets you use your own thunderbolt 4 cable instead of a tiny one that comes fixed with the dock? I always have my dock hanging and moving with wires because of the short wire, having a dock with a thunderbolt port instead would be sick!

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
A bit off-topic but is there a thunderbolt 4 dock like the HD22Q that lets you use your own thunderbolt 4 cable instead of a tiny one that comes fixed with the dock? I always have my dock hanging and moving with wires because of the short wire, having a dock with a thunderbolt port instead would be sick!

u can also use an USB 4 40gbits or USB 4 2.0 cable, but the length is also limited because there are passive and active cables. For passive ones it has to be under 0,8m

ThomBoh

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
Okay just saw this thread last night and this is very exciting news, I'd been angrily hemming and hawing over whether to upgrade from my MBP M1 Max to an M2/3 Pro for the sake of getting HDMI 2.1 to run a nice big OLED.

Everything I see in this thread is encouraging but it's 55 pages and I can't quite figure out if there are any limitations to this solution (other than the small amount of overhead in getting it running with the dongle updates).

Before I go ahead and order a 42" C3 for my office, can anyone clarify: do the solutions described in this thread make running a Macbook Pro M1 Max with an LG C3 as a monitor through one of these dongles completely equivalent (in functionality) to running a Macbook Pro M3 with an LG C3 using pure HDMI 2.1 connection? Is every display capability that the M3 has now available to my M1 Max (e.g. all different combinations of bit depths, chroma, framerate, HDR that the M3 would give)? If not what are the caveats?

tman2damax

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2023
I just switched to the 201310-BLK active adapter with ethernet, coming from the 201388-GRY HDMI adapter, and I'm having a couple of issues.

I'm still getting an occasional standby issue where I see a gray screen after waking the computer, and it requires me to disconnect and reconnect the adapter. This seems to be happening just as often as with the old adapter, about once every other day.

I'm using an M3 MacBook Air with an LG C2 display. I have the adapter plugged directly into power using a 30w Apple adapter and an Apple brand USB-C to C cable. I could have sworn I saw someone say that you need a 60w+ adapter to avoid standby issues, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I might have just imagined that.

Also, I can no longer enable HDR at 120hz. If I drop down to 60hz, the option reappears. I rarely use HDR, but it would be nice to have the option without losing 120hz refresh rate.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Are there any fixes?

chargerinthebox

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2023
Also, I can no longer enable HDR at 120hz. If I drop down to 60hz, the option reappears. I rarely use HDR, but it would be nice to have the option without losing 120hz refresh rate.
You can also increase scaling for the HDR option to appear. For me it appears at 120% scaling on BetterDisplay.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I just switched to the 201310-BLK active adapter with ethernet, coming from the 201388-GRY HDMI adapter, and I'm having a couple of issues.

I'm still getting an occasional standby issue where I see a gray screen after waking the computer, and it requires me to disconnect and reconnect the adapter. This seems to be happening just as often as with the old adapter, about once every other day.

I'm using an M3 MacBook Air with an LG C2 display. I have the adapter plugged directly into power using a 30w Apple adapter and an Apple brand USB-C to C cable. I could have sworn I saw someone say that you need a 60w+ adapter to avoid standby issues, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I might have just imagined that.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Are there any fixes?
Plz use an 60 W Adapter or more and reports if this helps

ultrpn

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2024
Anyone having issues with colors when using this on windows? I've done everything and it worked well on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro but on windows, the colors are not right. The blacks are not inky. It looks like an IPS monitor actually but the refresh rate is 120hz. Same issue even if I lower the resolution/refresh rate so I think the GPU is not the problem.

- Windows machine used: Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 3
- Hub: Cable Matters USB-C Multiport (201310-BLK)
- Firmware: CM Firmware 4k 120hz 4-4-4 HDR 201310

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Okay just saw this thread last night and this is very exciting news, I'd been angrily hemming and hawing over whether to upgrade from my MBP M1 Max to an M2/3 Pro for the sake of getting HDMI 2.1 to run a nice big OLED.

Everything I see in this thread is encouraging but it's 55 pages and I can't quite figure out if there are any limitations to this solution (other than the small amount of overhead in getting it running with the dongle updates).

Before I go ahead and order a 42" C3 for my office, can anyone clarify: do the solutions described in this thread make running a Macbook Pro M1 Max with an LG C3 as a monitor through one of these dongles completely equivalent (in functionality) to running a Macbook Pro M3 with an LG C3 using pure HDMI 2.1 connection? Is every display capability that the M3 has now available to my M1 Max (e.g. all different combinations of bit depths, chroma, framerate, HDR that the M3 would give)? If not what are the caveats?
VRR does not work with this solution. And apple does have an bug with HDR and HiDPI since macOS 14.1

Reactions: ThomBoh

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Anyone having issues with colors when using this on windows? I've done everything and it worked well on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro but on windows, the colors are not right. The blacks are not inky. It looks like an IPS monitor actually but the refresh rate is 120hz. Same issue even if I lower the resolution/refresh rate so I think the GPU is not the problem.

- Windows machine used: Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 3
- Hub: Cable Matters USB-C Multiport (201310-BLK)
- Firmware: CM Firmware 4k 120hz 4-4-4 HDR 201310
The custom firmware is only for macOS

ultrpn

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2024
The custom firmware is only for macOS
Damn, that's disappointing. Do you know where to find the link for the available firmwares for this hub? The firmware it came with wasn't working also. It says invalid format on my TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.