DP4 on retina MBP? (merged)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by funkyfresh69, Jun 12, 2012.

1. funkyfresh69, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012

funkyfresh69 macrumors member

Has anyone installed DP4 on their new MBP yet? Wondering whether it works, in particular if it fully supports the retina display (sliders etc)?

2. Kamilli0n macrumors newbie

Anyone put Mountain Lion DP4 on their new R-MBP

I'd be curious to see if there is a difference in performance between Mountain Lion DP4 and Lion.

3. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

would also like to know. Retina MBP arrives by 10:30am tomorrow.

4. Fhame Rashid macrumors newbie

5. Kamilli0n macrumors newbie

Same here!

I'll be putting it on my Retina MBP when it comes on Monday. I'll update this thread if no one has yet.

6. portishead, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

portishead macrumors 65816

Just got mine and am installing it now. I'll be the guinea and let y'all know if it explodes.

edit: It seemed to have worked, my laptop didn't spontaneously combust. It only took about 10 minutes to install. The display preferences have the same options for Retina, or changing resolutions. Other than that, I'll have to experiment a little. Cheers!

7. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

8. portishead macrumors 65816

I upgraded from Lion. I made sure all software updates were installed first.

9. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

yes, but did you upgrade from Lion straight to dp4?

how is it on the new MBP so far?

10. Basic75 macrumors regular

So ML is not trying to achieve proper resolution independence, it's just the pixel-doubling?

11. portishead macrumors 65816

It works the same as in Lion. Apple software appears res ind but stuff like web pages, the text is res ind, but graphics aren't.

12. iFanboy Guest

Has anyone tried Mountain Lion DP4 on theor MBPR? Curious if issues are software.

Reading the issues on the forum are mostly concerned with "lag" and "performance", I'm wondering whether it's simply a software issue and whether Mountain Lion will fix all these?

I have read at least two threads for example where the OP claimed his "lag" problem was solved by applying the latest OS updates. Others have of course claimed the updates made no difference.

My thoughts are that when Lion was developed, retina was still not imminent. Lion has therefore had updates to make it retina compatible.

Now Mountain Lion appears to have been completely re-evaluated with retina displays in mind. There are also reports of better performance.

Is it likely that Mountain Lion could make most/all of the performance issues disappear?

Or do people think that the performance problems are that the graphics card setup is not powerful enough to run the retina display the way the users expect?

13. visualise-this macrumors newbie

Mountain Lion runs perfectly on my Macbook Pro Retina.. The same apps still crash and what not but everything is perfect!

14. moveteam macrumors member

Would love a full size 2880x1800 PNG screen dump of Mountain Lion in the pixel doubled mode!

15. rick98761 macrumors 6502

I've got it on mine. Runs great and the UI is a lot smoother.

16. iFanboy Guest

So it solved all the performance issues for you?

17. isagheer macrumors newbie

I installed DP4 on my rMBP yesterday. Generally speaking, the UI performance is indeed a lot better than Lion. However, scrolling in Safari is still very laggy on most websites, especially Facebook.

Anyone else with DP4 experiencing the same problem with Safari?

18. advaitan macrumors newbie

Yes, Safari on DP4 is still laggy... but much worse is Mission Control and Expose. The lag/jumpiness of the animations is pretty terrible.

19. isagheer macrumors newbie

I am experiencing no lag whatsoever in Mission Control and Expose animations. Full screen animations are also smooth.

20. Kamilli0n macrumors newbie

I've had great results with Mountain Lion and my rMBP. Safari 6 scrolling is lag-free, its absolutely perfect. It runs a lot better than Google Chrome Canary, which surprised me. Animations have been smooth as well.