DP5 update failed - any workaround?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by sammy2066, Aug 11, 2016.

1. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

So, the update downloaded just fine, screen went black and was beachballing for about 10 minutes. At that point, I decided to pull the plug and shut down. Now, after a PRAM reset, I get to the login screen, the bar fills up and nothing happens. I don't see a recovery partition at boot - any thoughts?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Holding CMD+R on startup does nothing?

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yeah try holding down Command-R. The Recovery partition doesn't always appear in the boot menu.

4. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm getting a 'This item is temporarily unavailable' error - what gives?

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

In App Store in Recovery OS?

If not in App Store, then can you share a photograph, or describe the context?

6. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure what was going on, but I was able to repair the disk permissions using recovery mode, and at least boot into the system. Because the DP5 update itself had failed, nothing was able to load - Finder and Siri kept crashing, none of the system preferences panes were loading either. Luckily, file sharing was enabled, so I used another Mac to transfer the files I knew weren't backed up (latest TM backup was a 100+ days old). Once that was done, I restored using the old TM backup and re-downloaded Sierra.

7. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

OK. Given the set of symptoms that you describe, it's possible that a prior installation was (or somehow became) corrupt.

That's interesting. Can you recall whether (are you certain that) it was truly permissions that received attention? I ask because I don't expect to find attention to permissions in Disk Utility in Recovery OS 10.11 or later. More specifically, I wonder about an HFS Plus file system inconsistency.