DP9 Today?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by FrancoisC, Sep 30, 2013.

1. FrancoisC, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

If we go by the schedule of the previous DP, I guess we'll get DP9 today.

Or maybe not, maybe they'll do like they did for iOS 7 and the next version will be the GM a week or two before the public release!

I haven't really played with iBooks, did it get better? First beta was horrible :S

2. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Mavericks, while an EXCELLENT release from Apple, feels a little unfinished. Probably due to iOS 7 requiring too much manpower. I'm hoping it gets like two more betas from GM. We haven't had a truly rock-solid version of OS X for years.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

iBooks is doing a bit better.

I'd definitely like to see DP 9 tonight, they've been very consistent thus far..

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I'm also hoping for DP 9 today or tomorrow. I agree with other members saying that hopefully there will be a couple more preview's before the GM is released, not that Mavericks isn't an excellent OS already, just some kinks that need to be worked out.

As far as iBooks goes, it has improved since the first betas were available.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I reckon DP9 tonight, then GM mid-October, release to public end of October.

Maybe the possibility of another DP before the GM.

6. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Two more betas...? I would hope for another year of betas to sort out all the kinks before releasing it to public... :p

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I agree but at some point they just have to throw it out there and shift into "damage control" mode. I think GM might be next. Getting too close to October event and they might want to show how well it plays with new Haswell MBP's that can be ordered on that same day.

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

Nah, they're not releasing DP9 today, GM in a media event in a week or two.

[I've been wrong on the last 3 times I said this, so I'm hoping Apple will prove me wrong for the 4th time. No, saying this won't jinx it since I said the same thing last time.

9. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

My guess is DP9 sometime this week. The media event has not been confirmed so it might not occur until the 22nd or 23rd. Plenty of time for another DP. And no "yep" from Jim Dalrymple about the event date yet ;)

10. MikhailT macrumors 601

If the media event occurs first, than expect no DPs until the GM on that media event. If no media event this week, then expect DP9 this week.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We're getting a little late for another DP, though there may be room for one more, if they wish to make the october time frame.

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

Well, the iOS 7 releases may have put them behind in preparing the DP or GM.

I'm hoping there's one more DP because despite the solid OS, the apps themselves are in horrible shapes. They should revert the UI changes if they have no plans to fix it.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean? I thought based on what I see here, that the current DP is fairly stable, or am I just living under a rock?

14. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

He means there is a mish mash of skeuomorphic and normal aqua apps.

15. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

any chance we could be just getting the GM today? i looked at previous GM versions for OS X and they where not during any apple event.. mountain lion was July 9th and lion July 1st.

OS X Mavericks October 1? wishful thinking..

16. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I would have thought they would have planned to make OSX match ios in terms of feel and look. Unless they are planning on updating that in the next 30 days (which a highly doubt). Not sure why OSX always feels like an unfinished product for the last several years.

Don't get me wrong I love OSX, but they have some consistency issues.

And Yes October 1st isn't just wishful thinking, its impossible thinking. GM hasn't even come out yet. Besides why would you want it to be rushed?

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Since this thread was created yesterday does that mean today is yesterday or is it still today.:confused: If it's still today then the answer is yes since it will be today (relative) whenever it's released. :eek:

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see thanks, given the mismash of iOS apple apps (find my friends) are still skeumorphic, I don't hold out hopes of any immediate changes then.

19. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

the releases for OS X have been on wednesdays so Im going with October 23rd or 30th for the release. should see GM soon then?

20. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

So maybe we'll get another beta, DP 9 today (Tuesday) ?

There are some minor cosmetic issues, but functionality seems very good with Mavericks so far (using DP 8)

21. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

i think we are done with DP releases.. GM is next, either this week or next in order for the release to be on Wednesday October 23rd or 30th.

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Why in October?
    Apple just says "Coming this fall".

I've been running the DP for some time now as my primary OS, and it seems pretty stable to me, but Apple is in no hurry.

23. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

no updates today probably? im gonna guess GM later in the week or early next week.

24. MikhailT macrumors 601

Because beside June and Sept, Oct is a common month for releases for Apple's hardware and Apple tend to release a new version of OS X with hardware behind it.

Since Mac Pro and MBPs with Haswell are expected along with Mavericks, Oct makes the most sense.

In addition, Apple needs to get them out before the holidays starts, so Nov/Doc aren't a good month for releases.

25. jb510, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

jb510 macrumors regular

jb510

I've assumed all along that 10.9 would get released with either rMBP's or with the MacPro. I think the only question is will the rMBP and MP be release together in October or November? ...or will they be released separately in October and September?

Currently my guess is rMBP the last 2 weeks of October coincident with 10.9 and a hands on preview of the MacPro, maybe even pre-orders for the MacPro.