DPI of iphone photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by heycal, Jun 8, 2018.

1. heycal macrumors 6502a

Forgive my ignorance, but I know of nothing of photography or DPI or any of that. But I need to submit a photograph to accompany a 1/4 page advertisement in a newspaper. (The photo will run in black and white.)

It must be submitted via email. I'm told the photo must be 300 DPI. I have an iphone 8. Can I take the picture on my phone and just send it in, or are special steps and/or a different camera needed?

2. eatrains macrumors 6502

Just sending in the picture would most likely be fine. The printed DPI is ultimately a function of the photo's pixel resolution and the physical dimensions at which it will be printed. When you say it's a 1/4 page, do you know how many inches high and wide that is?

3. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believe a quarter page would be about 5 x 7 inches. Some chance we'd go for a half page, which would be 8 x 11. Don't know if they would want a higher DPI for that or not.

4. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there any way to tell in advance for sure if an iphone photo with have the right "DPI"? I don't want to take a photo, send it in, and have them come back with "Nope, not good enough. Go out and a get another photo with a better camera and get it back to us before 5pm if you want your ad to be in this week's edition" or something.

5. nieks macrumors 6502

nieks

A photo does not have DPI. A photo has a number of pixels in width and height. The DPI has to do with how you view it: a display has DPI (or actually: PPI, pixels per inch) and a newspaper or any other form of print has DPI: Dots per inch. It means that the image you submit should be big enough to be printed at 300 dots per inch.

- Your iPhone 8 takes pictures at 4032x3024 pixels (which equals 12,192 Megapixels).
    - 4032/300=13.44 inch wide
    - 3024/300=10.08 inch high

This effectively means that your phone is capable of shooting pictures that can be printed at 300 DPI at a maximum size of 13.44 by 10.08 inch. All you need to know now is: how big is the quarter page?

6. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I daresay I almost understand this!:) Or at least the conclusion. I believe the quarter page is 5 by 7 inches. A half page, if I decide to go for that instead, I think is about 11 x 8 inches. Sounds like the iphone 8 can produce a picture that would work for either?