DPReview now has lens reviews

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lovesong, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

While the list may be short (4 at the moment), the reviews do seem to be as detailed as their camera reviews. It's here. So if you're not sure about that next lens you want to get this could be a place to look.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The interactive widget thing is really cool. They've got a very long way to go to get decent coverage though!

On the up-side lenses change much less frequently than bodies so the reviews should remain "current" for a lot longer :)

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Very exciting. Nothing more fun than lens reviews. The reviews seem (not surprisingly) very very thorough.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Very cool. It's comforting to see that the kit lens for the k10d seems to be respectable.

5. onomatopoeia macrumors 6502

onomatopoeia

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It just went up yesterday. Patience.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Except they're not using an optical bench, which means the lens review is only valid for the camera it's being used on. Personally, I don't care much, but for some people, it's a huge flaw in their test.

Also, I was hoping they would speed up their camera review frequency. With these new lens tests, , they're really going to have to get even more staff.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Sounds like you ought to send an email suggesting that.

9. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

10. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Is dpreview's forum able to be viewed like this one, and not that stupid setup where you have to click each post one by one? Does it show all posts just by clicking a thread once if you are registered?

11. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

Yeah, enable "flat view" mode. For example, go to a post, at the top you will see the option. It will be like that for all posts there after.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why? It's DPReview. I'm sure there are 527 people who see that they're not testing the performance of lenses, but the performance of the system itself (ie: camera + lens). People there complain too much to the DPReview staff.

This is also why you shouldn't compare test results between different brands (eg: a Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8 made for Nikon F-mount, and a Sigma 24-70 mm made for Canon's mount).

The only reason I don't care is because I figure, "Hey, if the lens is sharp on one Nikon camera, it'll be sharp on another Nikon camera." The actual sharpness values themselves will be affected, but so what? Good lenses will still be good, and bad will still be bad.

Photozone.de suffers from this same problem with regards to lens testing. Oh well. I still love their site.