Dr Dre's son found dead

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iBlue, Aug 28, 2008.

1. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

link

:(

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

while sad, i despise the publicity stuff like this gets. people have relatives die EVERYDAY and the news does not seem to care just because they arent rich

3. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

I know people die every day but that's not always as news worthy as a famous person or their family dying, unfair though that may be.

I think I picked this one out because I used to live not far from where Dre did in Woodland Hills.

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

So true. Unless you have millions of dollars you'll never see your face in the paper even if death is involved. Heck, newspapers might as well have the top story as "britney spears yawns, which is amazing".

5. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

I KNOW! Lets make this thread all about how stupidly unfair the media and stardom is instead of the fact that a father has to bury his son. :rolleyes:

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

He's a celebrity.

And you're questioning why people are interested?

:p

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Indeed.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Couldn't agree more. The cult of celebrity (and our willing acquiescence in accommodating this culture) all too readily distract us from what is a lot more important elsewhere in our society. Cheers

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You say the media gives him more attention about his dead son because he's famous. That's fine, because you're right.

But then again, I'm sure you're all giving Dre, a stranger to you, far less condolence than you would to any other typical stranger who's son just died. Why? Only because Dre is famous. If celebrities aren't any different from you or me, then why does Dre deserve less sympathy simply because he's famous? Heck, I know of Dre more than I'd know of some stranger who's son just died. Maybe it really isn't so unusual to feel a bit more sorry for him than for Joe Blow.

I'm sure Andre isn't thinking of himself as "Dr. Dre" right now. He's a dad who lost his son. I'm certain that if another person who I don't know had a son who died today, the only way I'd find out was probably through word-of-mouth While we found out about Dre's son's death through the media rather than through more typical means, doesn't mean you have more of a reason to hijack a thread just to get some unoriginal thought regarding this re-treaded topic off your chest.

10. ShaneR macrumors member

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

please, i do recognize its sad that he lost his son. i dont wish that on anybody and hope his family is coping well

but why should i feel more sorry for him? because i listen to his music? seriously? what makes him so special that his situation should mean more to me than say a kid's father down the block

all i said is i hate the media attention these guys get with every event that happens to them when there are others that have to endure through so much more. want to see a case in point? see the link iblue posted.

why you are so quick to attack what i say is a mystery to me. this is in current events is it not? we can discuss our views on it can we not? so please get off your high horse and telling me what i can and can not think about media reporting on events like this

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

who cares what the media chooses to report or not report? The man lost his son. If someone "not-famous" lost their son beleive me the last thing they would be worried about is, the newspaper not carrying their story because they arent rich or famous. you guys are ridiculous.

If newspapers decided to report every single death that happened everyday our newspapers would be so thick we wouldn't want to carry it around. and honestly nobody would really bother to look. so how much sense does your argument make?

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree and realize its out of his control on what the media reports. very unfortunate believe me

im sure he would most rather not have his personal situation reported for all the world to see hence why i made the comment in the first place

that wasnt the arguement i was making but for the sake of not upsetting the forum with my views on the media, i wont elaborate on it any more in this thread

hows that?

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Because I've been listening to his music on and off since 1990, and he was responsible for some of my favourite songs for quite a while.

Joe Blow lives 20 minutes from here, and I never heard of him until today. It's equally as sad that his son died, but I'd be naturally more inclined to feel sorry for Dre because I feel more attached to him than to some nameless, faceless person I have never met, and have no attachment to whatsoever.

Seems quite reasonable.

And it's you who's standing on the soapbox giving out your deep thoughts.

15. ShaneR macrumors member

Agree 100%

16. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Damn, that's some sucky news… :(

@dukebound85- ****. this is a current event not a prsi

This bowl of og kush is for the Dr., his late son, and his family.
    Thanks for the good memories, may they find a way back to you man…

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol no i wont ****:rolleyes:. ill state my opinion. i dont believe i was offensive in any way,shape or form and if you cant see my point of view then im sorry

until then, try to learn on not being hostile...

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

While it's still bad news I have to side with dukebound85 on this. I've listened and liked a few of his songs but his son? Hmm.

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The fact that the people in this thread know of Dr. Dre is the exact reason you see this in the paper. People know who Dr. Dre is versus the random person down the street that died.

Does that make his son's death any more important than a random person, not necessarily. It's just the simple fact that since Dr. Dre is a celebrity his son will get a little more coverage than the average obituary that John Doe would get.

It's the same concept why Apple might get a front page article on a new iPod release and Creative might get a small blurb when they come out with a new Zen. The more popular a person is the more we are going to hear about their everyday lives, even the stuff that happens every day to ordinary people.

Maybe that's too difficult for Duke to wrap his head around.

jon

20. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Did I say you said something offensive?

Mostly I was saying, apparently not obviously enough, that your posts were focusing on the social issue of "celebrity worship" in the media and not the fact that Dr. Dre, a grammy winning, multi-platinum artist, lost his son unexpectedly.

OK?

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

To be honest, my original post wasn't actually directed towards you. It was more directed against everyone who decided this was the perfect thread to talk about celebrities and media, you being one of those people, I guess.

In fact, I only decided to post after I had read this....

I'm assuming that what you mean is that for many people, family is the most important thing. So why make this thread about more than just someone losing their son? Funny enough, it is the people who have posted about celebrities in media who have offered the "distraction" from what this is truly about and made this thread more about celebrities, and less about family.

So nothing personal, Dukebound.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

fair enough :)

23. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

+1 Thank you iBlue, she's a billion percent right everyone. Mourn the loss, this is not about seeing who has passed away (in the news), this is about the loss of a loved one

24. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

While this is obviously no more important a loss to the world than any son/daughter who has died, it is a devastating blow to Young, and I have nothing but sympathy for him.:(

25. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Been an interesting thread indeed. I will say that I don't exactly have sympathy for Dr. Dre, more like empathy. :eek: