Dr. Who. What see first

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by robj, Jan 17, 2010.

1. robj macrumors regular

I have reading so much about Dr. Who series. I like watching sci-fi series so I think I would like Dr.Who :)

I'm not from UK, even English is not my first language (but I can understand it) so I discover Dr.Who recently. Like I saw in Wikipedia, Dr.Who is HUGE, being 30 years old, so the question is, where should I start watching Dr.Who?

In BBC iPlayer you can see (i think) only the last episodes, I tried to see one of them but I'm totally out of context.

Thanks ;)

2. Queso macrumors G4

Either right at the beginning with the old black and white stuff, or at the start of the 2005 relaunch with Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor.

Personally I would recommend the second option. Otherwise it will take you quite a few years to catch up :)

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The Man of Cheese is quite correct – starting at the very start would require a lot of viewing before you got up to date.

The revived series can be watched independently – although there are references to the 'classic' series knowledge of it isn't vital – and once you've enjoyed the new Who it might give you an idea of which episodes you want to seek out first from the older series.

Incidentally, Doctor Who is a bit older than 30 years – it'll celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2013 – so you'd actually have an extra 20 years to catch up on on top of your original estimate if you tried watching from the very first episode. ;)

4. robj thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying :)

I suppose that there are DVDs for this series,

Then, should I buy this one ?

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Definitely start with the 2005 series. I've watched bits of the old series prior to that and well, they're good. Brilliant infact. There's just a lot of it.

You're in for a good ride by the way. As a whole the 2005-2010 series provided some of the best TV I've ever seen.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Y estoy totalmente en acuerdo con el hombre de pastel. Comprelo :)

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Better a man of cheese or a man of pie rather than a man of candy, I've always felt.

250px-The_Kandy_Man.jpg

Another good reason not to dive straight into the classic series... :p

9. Queso macrumors G4

My name is Bertie Bassett....

...and I'm suing :p

10. robj thread starter macrumors regular

I've just ordered the two first Boxed set of Dr Who.

Yesterday I was watching episode 1 from series 1 and I liked so I think I will enjoy the series :D

How about the novels?