Draco IV and signal DB questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Chad H, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    I just had a couple of quick questions for the case/signal gurus out there. I finally got my blue Deff Cleave Draco IV case and I love this case. Besides the volume/mute switch being a little wiggly this thing is so nice. Now, I did a field test without a case while in my store(which is in a shopping outlet) and got -92 to -95 Db's of signal. Which usually means about 2 bars or so. Now, with this case on I ran the same test and it looks to be about -102 to -105 Db's which means its sitting at 1 bar sometime bouncing to 2. My question is, will this truly affect anything? I seem to still be getting texts and calls just fine. I haven't ran the test at my house but before I got 4 to 5 bars and last night was generally seeing 3 to 4 bars. Not really a drop in Wifi signal. Just wanting some input. The phone has yet to say "no service" and has dropped 3G to "O" a few times at work but it did that before the case was even on so nothing has changed there. Appreciate any thoughts or input in advance! :)

2. al0513 macrumors 6502

dude. why cant anyone on here SEARCH before posting a question?

3. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well "Dude" I did search. I started this as a specific DB reading + Draco case thread. I have already researched the 16 page Deff Cleave thread and not a lot was posted on specific numbers just phrases like "a little loss in signal" or "1 to 2 bars". Either contribute or don't post.

4. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Might affect battery life a bit. That is the problem with Faraday cages-I mean metal cases, they attenuate the signal. It's about the most piss poor design you can think of short of wrapping your phone in aluminum foil. They need to make the case out of a non-conductive material as the designs are nice.

5. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I haven't noticed battery taking much of a hit. Although an iPhone 4s doesn't have great battery life anyway. It is weird, I'll see it sit at 1 bar or -102 for awhile then bounce to 3 or 4 bars shortly.

6. OnNightfall macrumors regular

The Draco is my favorite looking case that I will never own. Function > Form for me.

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

As with anything that hinders the reception, in good areas where the signal is strong it shouldn't matter much. It's the fringe areas that will be an issue.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You don't need specific numbers to know that poor to no coverage impacts battery life of any device (why it's mentioned above). Don't miss the forest for the trees by fixating on the details.

9. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

That's what kills me. These cases look fantastic. It's simply their material that is wrong. I know it's cheaper to have a CNC machine make these parts than to produce a mold, but in the long run it would pay off I feel.

10. jbanger macrumors 6502

i go from 2-3 bars inside my house to SOS Only most times on a legit Draco, annoys the p!ss out of me!

11. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

After consideration and numerous tests I've had to ditch my Dravo IV. I've ordered a Graft Concepts case. I love the Draco IV and think it's the best looking case out there but my phone was just taking too much of a signal battery hit. Sucks.

12. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Damn that Graft looks nice! Now that's what I am talking about.

13. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

I own both the Draco IV and the Graft Leverage and prefer the Draco IV because it looks way better. I experience the same amount of dB loss as the OP, but it hasn't prevented me from making or receiving calls.

14. radenasu macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I just received my draco IV iPhone 4S case and to my surprise I have no issues with signal, it actually works perfectly and I can still acquire GPS anywhere. I was originally deceived by many reviews on this forum, but im glad that I picked up this case.