"Draft" option grayed out Canon MG5320

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thebiggmann, Feb 12, 2014.

1. thebiggmann macrumors newbie

I've had this printer for some time now and have never been able to access the draft option. Whenever I go to the Quality pane, the option on the slider is grayed out. Does anyone know why this is and how I can fix it? At the rate this thing goes through ink I might as well buy a new printer... I'm running OSX Mavs but it's done this on every version of OSX I've used.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Are you using AirPrint or the Apple driver for the Canon Pixma MG5320?

3. davesnothere macrumors newbie

accessing draft mode

Canon sucks. At least their support on this printer does.

The solution (at least OMM) was to go to canon and download the CUPS drivers. This will give you the ability to access the draft mode. However, on a scale of 1 being full cheapskate and 5 being mr moneybags, I could still only get it to 2, or half-cheapskate mode. That said, it did give me very readable prints (90% or so black).

I understand this is a cheapo printer -- I got mine for $50 on sale -- and the need for canon to make some money, but the mac support on this printer at least is crap. I couldn't get it setup wirelessly, and had to resort to a usb cable when I had my airport wide open. Then they artifically block cheap mode on the printer so you have to buy ink more often. Pretty disapointing all around.