Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
I know most of you here use the computer to design and create, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good drafting table, around $200?

My girlfriend is really into drawing, she also draws a lot for University and a good drafting/drawing table would really be useful.

I am looking for something sturdy, with steel frame (not wood), adjustable height/inclinaison, ideally mobile (wheels) so she can cart it around the appartment and use it wherever she wishes.

Can anyone recommend a good brand/model? I know jack about this and would very much like to surprise her.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
You could go to a few local carpenters and ask you quotes – nothing like having a one of a kind :)

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
True.

The only thing is, I prefer getting something steel-framed and adjustable.
Local carpenters in my area are usually not used to make this kind of specialized equipement and if they made one, it would be custom and very expensive.

Thanks for the reply though.:)

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
That looks like what I'm searching for...

A bit expensive but fits the description.
Do you have first hand experience with it?

Thanks!

Keep the suggestions coming.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Steel, wheels & below $200.

Not sure how sturdy it is, although it does look pretty good, but it's compact enough for a dorm or small apartment. Go with the white surface one over the woodgrain, better for illustrating. Add a Paral-Liner if she's doing any technical or geometric drawing. You could also get a cuttingmat to protect the surface when cutting, but don't permanently attach it, preferred hard surface for drawing, mat adds too much softness.

You should look at this one at IKEA, it tilts and comes with a "lightbox" (frosted glass and lamp), even though it is wood construction. It's pretty nice, looked at it a few weeks ago and have been thinking about it for myself.

Hope that helps!
:)

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Over the last few years I've been given 2 or 3 of these, for nothing. There must be loads of companies who've still got some kicking about gathering dust as everyone uses AutoCad these days. Why don't you try a 'wanted' ad in your local paper or have a look on Craigs? Or is there a local freebay in your area?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.