Drag and Drop disables on OS X ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nightizm, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Nightizm macrumors newbie

THE PROBLEM::

After like 20 mins, I can't drag and drop on the dock (moving dock icons around), nor in iTunes (dragging songs to playlists etc).

At first, I thought this was just happening in my DJ software (traktor pro 2), because after 5-20 mins of DJing I would go try to move a song around and nothing would happen. Then while I was watching tutorials for Ableton Live, and had Ableton Live running in the background, it happened again. And seeing as how it drag locks iTunes and Dock I think it's a Yosemite problem. Dragging folders and files on the desktop works perfectly fine though..
    Any ideas what's causing this? Logging out and in temporarily fixes the problem.

BACKGROUND::

Refurbished MBP Retina 15" 2013 pretty much maxed out. My Mac partition broke out of nowhere recently and I had to reinstall Mavericks and Yosemite again. The installing seemed to work fine, and I have pretty much the exact same programs, I'm not sure what could be causing this?

Also have a Windows 8.1 partition as well as all 3 Paragon NTFS software installed.

2. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so I know for a fact it's not my music or djing software causing this, I gave it a rest and just started watching videos with quicktime for a while and sure enough eventually the dock dragging froze up.

Any ideas anyone? Or am I going to need to re-install again.

I'm gonna call Mac tomorrow obviously just hoping to figure it out before hand.

Thanks

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Let's back up a bit... describe what happened with this partition broke business? Did you install a new drive afterwards? It almost sounds like you have a drive dying.

4. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea what happened. I was on my Windows partition doing music work, and just before bed I wanted to switch to Mac and watch a movie, then it wouldn't log in. Would make it a quarter way through and just would turn off. I tried everything and then gave up and re-installed. Now I'm having this problem... I talked to Apple support and they weren't able to help me fix it. I did figure out that it seemed to work fine in Safe Mode though...

Either way, I'm bout to nuke the **** out of my laptop. I'm gonna restore all the partitions to one big one. Re-install Mavericks. Download everything I need on to Mavericks and test it out for a day, make a TimeMachine backup, and then switch to Yosemite and see how that lasts for a day. -- Then I'll go purchase a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 (I illegally downloaded cause I was pissed off I had to pay again [had to pay for upgraded 8.1 once already]). And I swear to god if I have 1 problem after all of this I'll have lost faith in Mac. Will leave a very sour taste in my mouth after this $2700 switch.

Wish me luck, seriously.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... so you did not install anything new or change anything and it just spontaneously would not boot? That does sound like a hardware issue or perhaps a bad drive like I mentioned.

It is interesting though that the problem went away in safe mode. So in safe mode it booted up fine and worked well? Safe mode does a disk check, so that could have temporarily fixed things. Safe mode also bypasses any login or startup items, so if you have a utility or something conflicting with the OS, a safe mode boot would bypass that.

Try a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Util to run a verify disk. Does that show any errors?

You might also try running the Apple Hardware Test.

6. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't remember... the only thing I remember was being on OS X, download music samples, sending them to my folder on Bootcamp, and tried to use the samples in my program on Windows but they weren't there.. I thought that was odd, ignored it and did my thing, then before went to bed tried to switch to Mac and it didn't work.

The Disk has been verified and working fine. The Bootcamp also has "minor" errors that it fixes but then goes back to minor errors after a reboot.

I tried the apple hardware test and everything runs fine.

I'm currently typing this on Guest Login to see if that's the case... Let's say that it works fine on Guest for 30 mins... what would I do to fix my Main login??

The programs I have that are up are

1. Flux
    2. BetterTouchTool
    3. Bartender
    4. Chrome
    5. Skype
    6. CleanMyMac (use this only for unistalling)
    7. Steam.

Now steam was a problem for me on my latest re-install, I downloaded it, and it just froze on the Login screen. Every single time. I said **** it and just unistalled using CMM, and then forgot about it. Do you think some files are lingering with that? I don't know of any other login items that could be causing this.. like I said everything was fine on my Mac before with all the same programs.. I also have all the Paragon Softwares installed. For MAC and Windows so I can read-write cross platform.

I'm at a loss

EDIT:: I'm running on about 15-20 mins on Guest and everything seems to be fine... so apparently it's just my main login.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If that fixes things then you have a startup or login item causing problems. On the bad account, run the app Etrecheck. That will list all startup and login items and their location so you can start removing them one by one to troubleshoot.

Also, Clean my Mac might be part of the problem. Some user have had issues with it getting a little too aggressive "cleaning" and deleting OS files and breaking things. I would ditch that app.

8. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that right now, thanks.

And yes I know, that's why I said I use it solely for uninstalling, cause I don't know any other way of deleting programs / apps and getting rid of all the trails of files they leave behind. I'm only 2 months in on Mac life.

9. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that the ones in red, are pretty much all adobe related.

Launch Agent
    [invalid?] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist (i thought i deleted this)

Launch Daemons
    [invalid?] com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist (don't know what this is)

User Launch Agents
    [invalid?] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist (again, thought this was gone)
    [invalid?] com.valvesoftware.steamclean.plist (... so steam still lingers)

The rest were [loaded] and highlighted blue, so I assume they're fine. All the above were red.

These are my login agents and they all seem to be just black colour so I guess that means neutral ?

Flux Application (/Applications/Flux.app)
    Bartender ApplicationHidden (/Applications/Bartender.app)
    iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)
    Android File Transfer Agent Application (/Users/[redacted]/Library/Application Support/Google/Android File Transfer/Android File Transfer Agent.app)
    BetterTouchTool Application (/Applications/BetterTouchTool.app)
    Google Chrome Application (/Applications/Google Chrome.app)
    NIHardwareAgent ApplicationHidden (/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Hardware/NIHardwareAgent.app)
    Skype Application (/Applications/Skype.app)
    Google Drive Application (/Applications/Google Drive.app)

For the invalid ones, do you think that's the problem? and how would I get rid of these hiding files? I thought I had deleted them..

Thank you so far, you might be saving me from a third re-install.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The red is just for things that Etrecheck knows are broken, for example those plists probably point to an app that is gone. So you do want to remove all the red ones for sure.

The launch agent and launch daemon ones will be in these folders. Not these are not the user library folder, but the main library. In Yosemite just triple click the path below then right click and select reveal in Finder to get there.

Code:
    /Library/LaunchAgents
    Code:
    /Library/LaunchDaemons
    Here is where the user launch agent one will be.

Code:
    ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    Now for all those login items. Just because they are not red, does not mean they are not causing the problem. It just means that the app is present and launched. Assuming the red removal does not fix things, you need to start removing those until you pin down the culprit.

Same for the other blue launch agents. Blue just means they launched. But they could still cause the problem.

But if a new test account does not have any of these issues, that pretty much proves it is one of these items causing your issue.

11. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

I deleted Windows, and formatted my harddrive. Tried to re-install OS X Mavericks and it said it couldn't find the installation.... :mad: Then I ran the Time Machine back up twice and it failed at 50%. Had to repair the disc and thank god it worked. . .

I deleted every single launch agent and extention and deleted all my apps that had startups. Ran that Etrecheck thing and there were no red's and everything looked good. Dock didn't freeze for over an hour. I tried to start re-doing bootcamp partition over night, sure enough that failed becuase why would anything work the first time? and then the dock froze on me. I'm so lost.

Maybe I didn't give enough time on the guest account for it to happen? I don't know what to do, I didn't change anything since my re-install. Honestly this isn't the hugest deal of a problem, bit it IS a problem and I'm a big of a perfectionist in the sense that I want a $2700 machine working perfectly. This is so upsetting :(

Schedueling another call with Apple atm. Any other ideas?

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You should not normally need to repair the disk. Have you had to do this before. I think we are circling back around to my original bad drive suspicion.

13. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

You could be right but why? This mac is barely 2 months old. I'm attempting internet recorvey and hopefully Mavericks will reinstall again. Thats what they told me to do.

I really want this to be a Yosemite problem and not my Mac. Sigh

14. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

I finally got a fresh install of Mavericks running. 90% of my apps are installed again and there's no problems what so ever. Been over 3 hours with no dock/itunes lock. Once I'm done installing everything I need, I'm going to immediately create a fresh Time Machine backup, and then tomorrow I'll try Yosemite for a couple days and see if the problem comes up again. If it does then ****it I guess I'll go back to my Mavericks restore, but I'm feeling really good about this one.

Fourth times a charm right? :confused: