Drag and drop files to folders

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by PSB7, Sep 27, 2015.

1. PSB7 macrumors newbie

I looked through the other posts but don't see a response to my particular issue. Hoping someone can tell me what I'm missing.

In Finder, when I try to drag and drop a file into a different named folder it does so, but always opens that folder where I dropped the file. I then have to navigate back to the previous folder. Mostly I'm moving files from a root directory, but regardless it's still an annoyance that I have to perform navigation steps back to where I started.

Can anyone tell me if there's a setting to prevent the OS from opening the folder? In other words, I just want to drag and drop the file to the designated folder, but not actually open that folder.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. PSB7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I should add I normally just use List view. The only view that doesn't do it is the multiple columns view. I don't use that view because each time I open it the columns are compressed, which truncates the file names. Even if I size the columns to my personal preferences the next time I open Finder the columns are reset.