Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
When I drag and drop images from a browser (Firefox) to my desktop, it doesn't place the image file where I drop it. Instead, it places the file at the next place in the grid of icons (HDs, Folders, images, etc.) -- is there a way so it places the file exactly where you drop it on the desktop? i.e. is there a "snap-to-grid" function I have checked somewhere?

I'm running 10.5.7 / FF 3.0.11

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
After a couple of experiments, this appears to be a Firefox thing. Pictures land where I put em with Safari. With Firefox they move.

Dimka

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
San Francisco
it is a firefox thing, they changed it since version 3.0

3.5 and 3.6 still have it.
it looks like they (most likely just one developer) did it intentionally, to what ever their personal taste is, and not many people notice or complain.

All other browsers do it the proper way - they drop image right where you are dropping it, and only firefox snaps them to a grid, even when no grid for desktop icons is enabled.

Funwin

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Chrome also puts the image file where you place it on the desktop....

There has to be an option to turn this off, im on the fence between chrome and firefox and want firefox to win cus chrome is teh fail on anything more then 5 tabs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.