drag and drop on the above (parent) folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akcasoy, Jan 20, 2010.

1. akcasoy macrumors member

Since cut option is not available in mac, i am always trying to move the files by holding the mouse and dragging..
    And most of the time i realised i need a function like this.. for example i am in folder1/folder2 ..and just want to take file from folder2 to folder1... but since there is not any "go one node above" option, i have to open everythng from the beginning... especially if those folders are located in a deep location such as user/lib/appsup/etc..

So how can i deal with this problem?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure what your problem is. It's extremely simple to drag to a parent folder. In this example, simply drag the highlighted file to either circled folder to move it.
    Picture 1.jpg

In Icon View, you can do the same thing, by dragging to the folder in the Path Bar below:
    Picture 2.jpg
    If you don't see the Path Bar, click View > Show Path Bar.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Depends on which Finder view you're using. Sounds like icon view though. The list and column views would be better suited for moving the files. Also, under the View menu (I believe) there's an option for showing the folder path at the bottom the Finder Window. You can drop files on the folders there. I'm not at my Mac to be specific on the option for this. One thing you can also try. While dragging, cmd+up (this is the keyboard shortcut for moving up a folder directory) or maybe even shift+tab. Again, not at my Mac so can't try these out to say if they work for certain.

4. akcasoy thread starter macrumors member

I didnt know about the path view!! Thank you very much! it is just what i asked for!

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

To go from folder2 to folder1 (folder1/folder2) use CMD+ArrowUp.

It does not work while you drag though, but when you're in List View (CMD+2) and you're in folder2, just CMD+ArrowUp and drag folder to the edge of the Finder window (see image below).
    [​IMG]

EDIT:

That's easier of course.