Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redlark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I just tried to drag and drop my home folder and apps folder from Finder sidebar to the right side of Dock, but when I released the mouse they just disappeared in puff of smoke. I'm a newbie with Macs and this was done at the suggestion of one of those 'get to know your Mac' books.
So how do I restore the home folder to the Finder sidebar...like where did it go? And how do I move a copy of these (in Windows speak- a shortcut or alias) to the Dock? Cheers.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
redlark, the Finder Sidebar is much like a dock for the Finder window. It doesn't actually hold anything in there except aliases, much the way the dock does. Therefore, when you dragged the icon from the Sidebar out of the sidebar, it just deleted the alias. Obviously, your home folder and your apps folder are still there.

To get them back in the Sidebar, navigate to them using the Finder, and then just drag their folders right back to the Sidebar. (You can put any folder into the Sidebar, or take any of the ones you don't use out of there.) The dock works the same way for folders. If you want a folder in the dock, you have to drag the actual folder (and not the Sidebar alias) onto the right side of the dock. Once you have done that, they will stay there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
those were shortcuts you dragged out (like the one's in the dock) ... that's why they 'poofed' like when you drag a shorcut icon out of the dock.

navigate your harddrive in Finder and find you home (user home) folder and apps folders ... drag these to both the finder shortcut sidebar and then again to the dock window.

you had the right idea ... you just grabbed the wrong icons. :) you need to find the originals on your harddrive.

peace | neut

redlark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
a big thanks

So easy, yet for this 15 year Windows user not so apparent. Those folders in sidebar should have the little alias arrow on them. But it's also true that the existing Dock icons actually move away to clear a space for files, folders, etc. that can be moved there, while my attempts yesterday, no space cleared for the alias-icons. Again, thanks. You'll be hearing more from me in the coming weeks as I get to learn this new os!! So far, I love it! even if it is a bit frustrating for this old dog to learn new tricks...

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
redlark said:
Those folders in sidebar should have the little alias arrow on them.

This is true for files/folders/apps in your HD (shown through Finder) and on your dekstop (which is just another folder in your HD ... people really need to realize that everything you manipulate is inside your hard-drive ... there is no other place for it to exist! *unless you haven't saved <RAM>). But the Finder sidebar (shortcut bar) and the dock contain only shortcuts ... it would be annoying if every icon there had a little arrow on it. ;)

It can be a bit frustrating coming from Microland, but just take it slow; try not to overthink everything like in Windows and keep coming back here for advice. There are a lot of knowledgable mac user on here. :)

Some things you may be used to just don't translate well (like file paths which can be frustrating in networked or large HD environments), but there is usually a 3rd-party app that can satisfy those needs if you feel you really need them.

Have fun! :p

peace | neut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.