Drag item disappears after 1 second

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bonniemoma, Jul 19, 2009.

1. bonniemoma macrumors newbie

I am trying to drag an item to move it into another folder in the same finder window, but it disappears after 1 second. It is the same way I have always did it, I click on it & can drag across the whole screen from window to window, but now it just disappears. And if I am not close to my destination, it will just move to whatever folder I am over at the time w/o me letting go of the mouse. Very weird, it just started to happen, & I don't know how to fix it

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

You could try restarting the computer to see if it keeps happening. That would be a pretty bizarre software glitch, but can't hurt to test.

What it sounds like, though, is that you have either a problem with your mouse (its button is flaky so the click "lets up" before it's ready), or you have a stuck key on your keyboard (which is essentially canceling the drag operation midway). Try opening up a blank text document and typing a little, to see if that works ok, and if so drag slowly to select some text and see if the selection cuts out after the same 1 second delay.

That'll at least narrow it down.