Drag to application

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RKilbane20, Aug 6, 2010.

1. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Ok im complete noob, Im only here usually for my iphone 4.

I just got my macbook and im completely new to it. When I "drag" to application folder to install something does it completely move that file to that folder or does it make a copy of it. Because I dont want wasted space having the same file on my HDD. Can i delete the orignal spot of the filer without messing things up?

2. tonywang.xmpt macrumors member

I don't fully understand your question.
    (my fault)
    but when you install an application,
    most of the time (especially in DMG file),
    its drag to install
    and trash to uninstall.

Once you finish "installing"
    (dragging it into the application folder)
    you're allowed to delete the original DMG file.

Hope that helps in some way, fashion, or form.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Additionally also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

4. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes thats exactly what i was looking for. thanks