dragged program to desktop, how do you put it back(windows 7)

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
so I have windows 7 and have been playing around with it though theres one thing I can't work out, I dragged a program(application in my world) to the desktop by mistake and I can't figure out how to get it back to where it came.
It's not a shortcut its the program itself???

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Have you looked at the properties of this file? (right click or Alt+Enter)

If it's only really, really small it's safe to assume that it's just an alias.

If I remember correctly, Windows only saves aliases in the Start Menu, and not the actual programs. I doubt that may have changed in Windows 6.1 (called Seven), but one never knows.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
yeah I looked its the program itself which ive moved not an alias, on osx you would simply drag the thing back but i see no way to do this?

Christ i wish i hadn't bothered:D:D

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
That's a really strange behaviour.

Why aren't you able to drag it back? In Windows XP it was possible to drag something into the Start Menu.
What about putting it in a folder (maybe even already existing one) in C:/Program Files and then making an alias in the Start Menu?

Or re-installing it?

That's really strange, and seems even illogical to me, but I have been away from Windows for a while, so maybe it does make sense in its own universe.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
ok i got it back, right click All Programs and choose Open All Users. Start menu programs are stored in Programs folder
then you drag in the program you want
easy:apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.