Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kuuguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
Hey,

So I was attempting to back up my serato scratch and dragged the icon from the dock and dropped it into a desktop folder, and there was a "poof" sound and image display that occurred. I am trying to figure out a) what that means, and b) how to restore my original information i.e crates, songs, song descriptions, etc onto my Serato Scratch program as it was previously. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Paul

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
The dock doesn't contain any files/applications, simply shortcuts to them. Dragging things off the dock simply deletes the shortcut.

An application will still be in your applications folder. Files will still be where they have always been.

tonyburkhart

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Ohio
swiftaw is correct, in that all the "poof" removed was the shortcut.

If you're running a system that's 10.4 or above, try doing a spotlight search for the file names or application.

If you see a magnifying glass on the top right of your screen, you have the "spotlight" program. This will search all files on your local directory. You can click the magnifying glass with your mouse and start typing in your search criteria right away, or you can open spotlight by pressing the "command + spacebar" keys at the same time.

Kuuguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks guys. Unfortunately this is turning out to be a much more complicated issue than I hoped it would be. I have located the files but am unable to import them back into Serato Scratch. The 'crates' are stored as folders, and I cannot access those folders? Guess I'll be visiting the Apple Store today, or calling Serato's help line.

Thanks for the assistance again everyone.

tonyburkhart

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Ohio
It really shouldn't be that complicated, from your description of what you did... which was delete a shortcut.

All you should have to do is open the applications folder, drag said application to the dock and open it. From there, you should be able to access the files (crates) as per usual, since the location of the files didn't change.

You could even go through the process of reinstalling the application and it will locate the files automatically.

Did you try searching with spotlight?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.