Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hi just as the title says, I have encounted a serious problem in the fact I wanted to make a folder of 60 particular songs from searching for them in my iTunes and dragging them from iTunes to a folder on desktop to then zip and send.
The songs were all originally located on a removable usb hd.

However ive now realised those particular songs dont play as the locations are missing due to the files being MOVED rather than copied, which to me sounds a ridiculous bit of programming and i am sure this must be quite a new thing as I have successfully managed it before.
Also Ive and ive deleted the zip file :-(
Even if I did have the songs, I wouldn't remember their location anyway.

Can anyone tell me if I should of done something differently to achieve the same task, and / or if iTunes now works differently to how it used to?

Many thanks

James

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
When you say "originally located on a removable usb hd" do you mean that your iTunes Media folder used to be on an external but now it's on your system drive?
not quite, I mean that 99% of my music is stored on a removable HD, to save space on my MacBook as i am a DJ and its a lot of data.
When I dragged the song from an iTunes playlist, to my desktop it in turn moved it from the removable HD to the desktop. and so iTunes can no longer find it. I totally assumed that that drag would of copied and not moved? Im sure it always used to?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Are you running Catalina?

Just tested in High Sierra. My iTunes library is also not on my system drive. I dragged a song from a playlist to the desktop and a copy was created there. The original remains on my drive.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Are you running Catalina?

Just tested in High Sierra. My iTunes library is also not on my system drive. I dragged a song from a playlist to the desktop and a copy was created there. The original remains on my drive.
On High Sierra myself and it certainly moves the MP3 file.
I’ll try and troubleshoot tonight with different methods

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.