Dragging and dropping files to apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fenjen, Sep 4, 2013.

1. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

Hi guys,

So when I for example have an image file on my desktop and I wan't to drag and drop it to word or something I usually pinch out 4 fingers to expose the desktop, then I drag the file to the dock, which takes like 3 or so seconds to react, then I have to drag it to the screen I want it in, which also takes this long and then I can finally drop it in. This just feels so slow, so is there a better way to do this? (without having to move al windows aside)

Thanks in advance.

2. Agent-P, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You could add an app (such as Word) to the sidebar of Finder. Then using Finder go to your desktop and drag the file to the app in the sidebar.

EDIT: IIRC when you are holding the file over the dock icon, if you hit the spacebar you don't have to wait for that delay. (I can't check this right now because I am currently without a Mac as I wait for the Haswell update)

3. fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

The spacebar thing is what I was looking for. Thank you!!

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Sure. Glad I could help.

5. magnusfischer macrumors newbie

I used to use that function without to hit the spacebar, just waiting 2 ou 3 seconds, but now i can't do it anymore. When i drag a file onto dock nothing happens. I need to hit the spacebar. Is there a way to fix this? I don't want to hit the spacebar, i want to just wait and switch between apps. Please help!