Dragging from Desktop into iMovie permanent?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by eclipse, Dec 23, 2015.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    I'm doing a rushed iMovie job and can't spend all day learning how to use photos.com.
    I thought that if I dragged a photo from my desktop into iMovie it was a permanent import, but as I started working through a list of photos and dragging them in, I would delete the original and then iPhoto complained with a Missing File report card. Is that a glitch? Is there some setting that makes the import permanent, so I can delete as I go? Or do I need to sit and learn photos.com just to manage my library of photo imports into iMovie so my iMovie project can have the images permanently?

2. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Excuse the simplistic answer as I haven't used iMovie, but as far as I understand it, when you drag a photo into the programme it references it rather than moves it in wholesale so you need to leave the photos where you drag them from. Once your project is finished you can make a Quick Time movie or whatever and if you don't need them any more, you can delete the originals. Sounds like it's a job you're doing for someone else with their photos. If not, and they're your pics, you could put them all into a folder, put the folder somewhere not on your desktop where you'll have to look at it all the time, and reference from there. I'm sure someone from the Digital Video forum would know more. Hopefully someone will jump in and elaborate. Good luck!