dragging items to desktop location?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deuce4, Nov 4, 2009.

1. deuce4 macrumors newbie

Hi

Basic questions: When I drag an item to the desktop, say, a mail message, it always appears on the right side of the screen no matter where I release my mouse on the drop. Is there any way to have an item appear where I release the drag-and-drop, or will the dragged item always go to the right side of the desktop?

Another question: is there any way to select a bunch of mail messages and drag them into a folder. I know you can do it where all the emails get merged into one text file, but is there a way to keep them all as individual emails with a group drag and drop?

thanks

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I don't know about the second part, but for the Desktop arrangement Q: in Finder's Menu Bar, click on View, then at the bottom open 'Open View Options'. In the new window, at the bottom is a menu with 'Arrange By' next to it. Select 'Snap to Grid' or 'None' if you want to arrange things your way.

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

on desktop: right click > show view options > arrange by ________ choose your preference.

As for the mail question. I'm not following. You want to select multiple just command click all of them and drop them in the folder you want. You have mailboxes under 'on my mac' set up correct?

4. deuce4 thread starter macrumors newbie

clarification

Oh, perhaps my question wasn't clear. I know I can later rearrange things, of course. But I want the item to drop at the exact location where I release the mouse button. Right now no matter where I drop it (say, on the left side of the desktop) it will appear on the right side. Often that area is covered by a window, so I have to clear my windows to grab that same item again to put it where I want it.

5. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Errrr...... it's 2am and my brain stopped working 4hrs ago. I'll let someone else grab this since I never remember having to turn that feature on. OSX has always let me drop an item exactly where I let go of it. Sorry.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Same here. Both of those maneuvers work for me.

What OS? What are your Finder Show View Options set to? How cluttered is your Desktop?

Do you have another User Account you could try?
    Another thought is that maybe your Finder preferences have become corrupt.
    Then there's the cure-all that sometimes works: Repair Permissions. Once in awhile I've seen people report that it solved a problem I would never have expected it to solve.

7. grangej macrumors newbie

I have this problem too!

Not sure when this started but I have the problem two, no amount of changing the options fix it, when I release the file at the mouse location it never goes to the place I dropped until after it is already on the desktop.

I have also confirmed this to be true in my friends system.

To reproduce : drag file from mail to specific location with all snap and sort options turned off then let go, it will not drop at the location you let go of the mouse at. The drop location will be random.