Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 28, 2002
I was looking at the Dragon Age 2 website today, and I noticed that they have the :)apple:) logo on their page for it:

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/order/

They had the same logo on the DA:O page, so I assume that means there will be a mac version of Dragon Age 2...? Anybody have more info on this?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yes, and it's apparently going to be a hybrid disc, which is good news since the game will almost certainly use cider.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Don't think so, probably a mistake on the page:

"Which systems is Dragon Age 2 being released on? Will they be released at the same time?
Dragon Age 2 is being released simultaneously for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3."

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
woah hybrid? ok i didnt see that coming. thats fantastic news. well done bioware.

i guess that gives some cause for hope that the future patches and dlc will all be available for osx as well. nice!

guess i just have to decide whether i want the extra graphical punch i will presumably get from bootcamp. 50/50.

one thing - i wonder if u can import DAO Windows-version savegames into DA2 OSX...

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
This is good. Going the way of Blizzard and releasing the games on hybrid discs. Meaning same day Windows and Mac releases for new releases.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Wouldn't it be especially bizarre if the disc version is PC/Mac hybrid but the Steam version isn't? I know there's no Cider ports on Steam, but no Cider ports have ever been sold on PC/Mac hybrid discs, either.

Steamplay essentially is PC/Mac hybrid for the customer, right?
:confused:

EDIT: So the Bioware site shows the disc case with a PC logo while the EA Store box shot has a Win/Mac hybrid logo. One of them's false.

EDIT x2: Amazon has the hybrid box pic, but it sells it as PC only.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wouldn't it be especially bizarre if the disc version is PC/Mac hybrid but the Steam version isn't? I know there's no Cider ports on Steam, but no Cider ports have ever been sold on PC/Mac hybrid discs, either.

It wouldn't be bizarre. The Sims 3 disc is hybrid, but the Steam version is PC only. Spore as well. And yes, Steamplay is PC/Mac hybrid.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC

It wouldn't be bizarre. The Sims 3 disc is hybrid, but the Steam version is PC only. Spore as well. And yes, Steamplay is PC/Mac hybrid.

Okay, so it isn't unprecedented. It's still bizarre in the sense that it defies logic. Usually the justification presented for not offering Steamplay or hybrid discs is that Mac porters don't get paid their share unless you buy a specific Mac version. But if you're selling hybrid discs and no Steamplay, then how are the Mac porters getting paid?

Maybe Steam has a blanket "no Cider ports" policy that we're not aware of.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
On Steam, EVE is a ciderized game, so Valve doesn't have such a policy.

And it's not just a case of EA being illogical, either--Ubisoft's The Settlers 7 is a a ciderized hybrid game on disc, but not on Steam.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Okay, so it isn't unprecedented. It's still bizarre in the sense that it defies logic. Usually the justification presented for not offering Steamplay or hybrid discs is that Mac porters don't get paid their share unless you buy a specific Mac version. But if you're selling hybrid discs and no Steamplay, then how are the Mac porters getting paid?

Maybe Steam has a blanket "no Cider ports" policy that we're not aware of.

On Steam, EVE is a ciderized game, so Valve doesn't have such a policy.

And it's not just a case of EA being illogical, either--Ubisoft's The Settlers 7 is a a ciderized hybrid game on disc, but not on Steam.

Really? [rushes off to look up price on Amazon]

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Well, not really. The game is ciderized, not a native port. And who knows if Mac and PC Patches/DLC will come out at the same time.

Very true. Blizzard programs for both at same time. Used to have linux port also till not to long ago for WoW.

packsherpah

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Someone please explain to me why all these type of threads exist...

In other words, why does anyone care if this game or that game is released for mac? Why don't you just bootcamp windows? I don't get it. Windows runs games better anyway, so why even bother? The whole beauty of the Intel Mac is that you can dual boot. Hell thats the whole reason I started buying macs.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009

In other words, why does anyone care if this game or that game is released for mac? Why don't you just bootcamp windows? I don't get it. Windows runs games better anyway, so why even bother? The whole beauty of the Intel Mac is that you can dual boot. Hell thats the whole reason I started buying macs.

Because most people don't feel like rebooting to come back and go into Windows. And then when done playing to reboot and go back into OSX. Some of us don't care to jump back and forth just for a game. Where games like this may be availible right away for OSX.

Myself if the game is not on OSX then I just get a console version.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
Because most people don't feel like rebooting to come back and go into Windows. And then when done playing to reboot and go back into OSX. Some of us don't care to jump back and forth just for a game. Where games like this may be availible right away for OSX.

Myself if the game is not on OSX then I just get a console version.

Also because some people don't want to spend $100 on a relatively unfamiliar OS that they'll have to figure out and maintain constantly. One OS is enough for me thank you. OS X is not the best gaming platform but believe it or not it's more than adequate for some people. I have a backlog of games I want to play a mile long. DA2 won't help that backlog. :)

-PN

SuperMatt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 28, 2002

I don't want to buy a copy of MS Windows to play games. I also don't want to reboot my computer every time I feel like playing a game. I'm far from a hardcore gamer.

I have found that although fewer games make it to the Mac, they tend to be the most popular, and usually most polished and best games. My interest in Dragon Age 2 is because I really like Dragon Age: Origins and I would like to play the sequel as well.

I understand for somebody that is really into gaming, boot camp is a great idea. You'll be spending hundreds on games, you may as well drop a hundred or so on Windows. And if you spend a lot of time gaming, then the inconvenience of rebooting is negligible.

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
Well well well, I know it's a cider port, but I have personal experience working with Transgaming on fixing some sound issues with Bose USB speakers... It was a pleasant experience that resolved the problem and he (Gavriel State) gave me the fixed library so I could use/test it well before they got the patch implemented into cider. Gavriel is a class act IMO and I am happy to see his company able to keep this contract onboard and give us DA2 and even happier to see it being released as a hybrid DVD!

So I will be buying to play on my MP w/ my Bose sound system :)

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Well well well, I know it's a cider port, but I have personal experience working with Transgaming on fixing some sound issues with Bose USB speakers... It was a pleasant experience that resolved the problem and he (Gavriel State) gave me the fixed library so I could use/test it well before they got the patch implemented into cider. Gavriel is a class act IMO and I am happy to see his company able to keep this contract onboard and give us DA2 and even happier to see it being released as a hybrid DVD!

So I will be buying to play on my MP w/ my Bose sound system :)

Well, so perhaps you can help us fix the long-standing issue with Cider ports and the Creative X-Fi USB sound enhancer...I reported this problem with HOMMV a couple of years ago and so far, nothing...any news?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.