Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voltare

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Thanks for the help, jolly.

Snoball, I had the boot camp drivers when I first got the problem. Then I updated to the latest driver from nvidia and it had no effect on the problem. I have a feeling as more people play on a MBP or MB, this problem will become more widespread...

Couicoui

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Same

Hi there,

I have the same problem on my brand new MBP 9800 gt. SP3. It happens mostly when i change of zone, i usually do and alt-tab and go back on the game. It usually solve the artefact problems the first time, and allows me to play like 10 20 min more, until the game crashs for good with BSD. Actually each time, during the game the artefact problem appeared, even if i just quit the game normally after (no forced reboot), i can see the BSD appearing, and my MBP reboots.
I am quite sure this has no link with temperature, but i guess the drivers are corrupted. Ill try to make a fresh clean of those, and reinstall the lastest from laptopvideo2go. I guess this has to do with some remains of windows drivers, that get in conflict with boot camp ones...

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
hmm have you checked your video drivers? get the latest ones from the nvidea site?

dragon age runs flawlessly on my system, i am running a 2.66 umbp june 09

Is it safe to upgrade the nVidia drivers over the ones that are installed from the Leopard installation disk?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not installed anything new or made any changes at all. I have played 3 or 4 games before this one. I installed DAO and, while playing, I get BSOD occasionally.

Something I forgot! Very regularly, I get a graphics glitch (about once an hour, at least). I get flickering lines through the screen. I then save my game, quit the game, and restart the game. Then it is fixed until the next time.

I am on a 2.4ghz MBP. 2GB of RAM and 256MB 9600GT. 500GB 5400rpm HD.

Maybe it is a temperature issue? I am playing on a table, not in my lap or anything. Is there a temp logging program for windows? Can I use SMCfancontrol to up the fans in windows?

Hi there,

I have the same problem on my brand new MBP 9800 gt. SP3. It happens mostly when i change of zone, i usually do and alt-tab and go back on the game. It usually solve the artefact problems the first time, and allows me to play like 10 20 min more, until the game crashs for good with BSD. Actually each time, during the game the artefact problem appeared, even if i just quit the game normally after (no forced reboot), i can see the BSD appearing, and my MBP reboots.
I am quite sure this has no link with temperature, but i guess the drivers are corrupted. Ill try to make a fresh clean of those, and reinstall the lastest from laptopvideo2go. I guess this has to do with some remains of windows drivers, that get in conflict with boot camp ones...

It could be a temperature issue-2.4ghz 2GB RAM 250GB 5400RPM, running Need for Speed Undercover and the game freezes at times, and the only option available is to reboot, since nothing else can be done.

topher12

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
I had a similar problem, getting the BSOD every time I tried to save or load a game. My macbook is using a Mobile Intel 965 video card, which is apparently pretty crappy, but I went and downloaded the latest driver for it, and now the game appears to be running okay, although a little slow.

razorboy1969

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2009
I finished DAO a few days ago. I also experienced occasional BSODs, usually preceded by video glitches when entering camp or Soldier's Peak. Tearings appear which is resolved by turning on VSync. However, at the next quickload or area, the BSOD appears. This is obviously videocard-related. I'm running mbp with 9600 NVidia on XP.

Great game btw. Well worth the BSODs :).

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I finished DAO this past weekend, and I never had a problem on my early 2008 MBP. I have installed fairly recent drivers, though not the most recent. Since everything is working fine, I'm not inclined to try new drivers right now.

piccolodoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
I have had this similar problem with windows XP too, playing the game for a good 30minutes to 2 hours, then seeing those problem as a warning sign. I then saved the game and exit to desktop only to find the BSOD.(it happened until it has become my habit of saving, exiting the game after seeing this flickering) In the report, it said the problem was related to nv4_disp.dll too. So, I've read all of the above recommendation.
First, I tried to update my nVidia videocard ( I have 15"MBP 2.66G, 4GB, NVidia GF9400M/GF9600M GT, bought several months ago with OSX 10.6 ) but got this message after extracting the package

" Nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit"

Ok, then I dl a mod update from laptop2go instead. I got Nvidia driver 195.94, installed and modded, as instructed.

However, I still get the same BSOD after playing DAO even after updating to a new nvidia driver. ( This time, it's a bit different, I dont' get a flickering anymore but only BSOD after exiting the game) The error remains the same, "nv4_disp.dill"

Could somebody please help me? thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.