Dragon Age & MBP i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -jake-, May 26, 2010.

1. -jake- macrumors newbie

My girlfriend got me Dragon Age for my birthday and I've installed it and played for about a half hour. It seems like my laptop (entry-level i5 15") isn't really cut out to play this game. my computer gets so hot that it's almost painful to touch, especially above the keyboard on the left-hand side. Is this heat dangerous for the internals of my computer?

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Im assuming you are playing in Bootcamp? Or did she buy you the OSX version?

These things do get hot when playing games, always have, ESPECIALLY in Windows. What are your temperature readings? if you are under 100c you are probably good.

Is it running well or lagging?

3. -jake- thread starter macrumors newbie

i have the os x version. it runs pretty well on medium graphics settings. unfortunately the setting that makes the biggest difference is "frame buffer effects" -- enabling these effects adds light and fog and other significant atmospheric elements. this slows down the framerate noticeably, but without it the game looks green and murky.

I was getting significant screen tearing until i enabled vertical sync.

the cpu is getting up to the high 70s (Celsius), with the graphics card a bit below that. I guess this isn't a dangerous temperature, then?

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

High 70's (Celsius) and running the nvidia card is probably about right. I wouldn't worry too much unless you were 20-30 degrees hotter.

5. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I just bought this game and I like it very much. I run everything maxed out. I loose some frames but its really not bad. This is what I do:

1. I run SMC and set the fans to 6k. Remember, its easier to keep something cool than to cool something hot down.

2. I change to the 9600 but the fans are still running.

3. I really do run everything at max but with no vsync.

I'm still tweaking it but so far I haven't ran into any issues. I noticed that with 8 gb of ram vs 4 on my friends I get slight better frame rates on similar hardware...

JMHO,
    -P

6. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

You could try iStat Menus as well, it'll allow you to bump the fans up to 6000rpm before you start the game and you won't have the heat issues.