Dragon Age Origins

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Kurrosh, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Kurrosh macrumors member

I have Windows 7 under boot camp and my computer is a Macbook Pro 2,53 ghz with 4gb RAM and a 9600M GT 512VRAM. I am very interested in DAO but read somewhere that 4 cores is more than recommended.

If I bought this game, would I be able to run it under medium settings at least? If anyone owns the game, do say how well it runs and include your computers specs please.

I just wanna make sure it will run well before i dish out 60$ for it ;)

Thanks

2. nigameash macrumors 6502

i have a mbp 2.66 256mb 9600gt. i run the game at high settings and it runs flawlessly!

3. danielcollier macrumors newbie

4. Kurrosh thread starter macrumors member

5. dunneh macrumors newbie

I have a 2.4ghz 2gb 9600M macbook pro and can run it pretty well (stutters in rooms with lots of enemies) on medium GFX settings. Certainly very playable. That's running native res (1400x900).

What resolution/settings are others running it at and what performance are they getting?

6. Arkangil macrumors regular

I have your exact computer and am running it with high textures and high detail in 64bit Windows7 bootcamp. It runs perfectly.

7. krimsen macrumors member

17" uMBP 2.93 here, running DA with 2x2 AA, looking great, stuttering only occassionally, when there's lots of enemies. I'm using XP, though, which is said to be more efficient in running DA.

AFAIK, DA is optimized to use multiple cores, but since its CPU requirements aren't too high in the first place, that won't matter for most Mac users.

8. aki macrumors 6502a

im same as most people above

3.06 imac with 8800gs vista32

i run all settings on max except antialias which is the second top i forget if thats x4 probably is, and i forget what resolution i set but its high whatever it is

it runs very well and looks good

as above its not so smooth when lots of characters on screen but not enough to upset me, i could turn down the settings but i enjoy more having the good looks than a few choppy frames in a cinematic now and then

actually im pretty impressed with dao it looks good and runs well i thought high settings would give it more trouble

9. odog402 macrumors member

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

It's a great game, definitely buy it! It's one of those RPGs that only gets better and better and BETTER as the game progresses!. :)

11. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Early 2008 MacBook Pro
    2.4GHz Penryn C2D, 4GB RAM, 8600M GT 256MB, Windows 7 x64

I get around 15fps on medium settings at native res. Very playable for this type of game.

If I go low res at 720p, I can hover around 30fps. More than fast enough even for frenetic pointing and clicking.

I play it as more a tactical RPG than action, so half the game is spent paused while I plan my next moves.

12. tutukun macrumors newbie

tutukun

Macbook pro 2.4 4gb ram Nvidia 9600

the game runs fine on medium setting, not silky smooth but its playable. Great game btw !!!:D

13. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Is there a demo for this game? I'd like to try it, what are the graphics like?

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

No demo as of yet. The visuals are good overall. They go from excellent to bleh in some area, but that's OK, as the game puts the detail where it's important.

Anyways, it's a great RPG, so if you're in the mood for one you really can't go wrong with this game.

15. nickmar macrumors newbie

I have a 13" Unibody MBP with a 9400m card. Am I deluding myself by thinking that DAO will run decently on it?

16. Blazecc macrumors newbie

High

I have the 'early' '08 Macbook Pro. 2.6 C2Duo 512MB 8600M GT. 4GB Ram. I'm running windows 7 to an external monitor. @ 1920x1080 I can run everything all the way up and still got a solid 10fps. Drop the resolution just a bit and turn off anti-alising and it rises to about 15. Anything resembling native res for my MB and it tops 20 fps no problem. It's a great game, worth every penny.

17. trose macrumors regular

Heh, a "solid" 10fps.
    I'd be very disappointed playing a game at less than 30fps, even a RPG.

But, to each their own!

18. pooky macrumors 6502

I've been running it on the same computer (under Windows 7) for a few days. To be honest, it is playable, but not great.

With the settings turned down to low and the resolution at 1200x800 (or something similar, I forget exactly), it runs smoothly, for the most part, until you get more than a few characters on the screen. I'm enjoying the game, but also wishing I had the funds for a desktop to run the game better.

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Even if the game were entirely turned base with no animation whatsoever? :eek:

20. trose macrumors regular

I guess you got me there ;)