Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by aki, Oct 14, 2010.

1. aki macrumors 6502a

Sooooo, I bought DAO the moment it was first released, played it, loved it, put it aside. I haven't played any of the major DLC at all (played a few of the minor ones). Now the Ultimate includes everything version is about to come out.

Anyone with the vanilla game thinking of buying it? I'm presuming it's cheaper than my buying all the DLC but even if it isn't presumably the install is simpler, and I'm sort of hoping against hope possibly that the Ultimate edition will actually run nicely out of the box without all the patch problems people seem to be having since I played.

Anyone else considering Ultimate Edition?

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I'm definitely getting the UE. When you consider all the DLC by itself, it totals more than $60 full price (Awakenings alone is $30). I haven't touched any of the DLC so it will be mostly a new experience for me. Also looking forward to playing different class.

Also, if you pre-order DA2 by Jan 11, you get $20 in free DLC that you'd have to pay for otherwise, even if you pre-order before it releases.

3. aki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hm. Interesting.

What do people think about the whole DLC thing, now we are down a couple of titles (DAO, ME1, ME2)? I'll be honest, value-per-unit aside, having to keep track of (identify, pay for, install, keep up with current bugs/issues/patching for each) a torrent of minor DLCs is just too tedious for me these days. Plus I'm not the type of person who really wants to replay the game every month or two to experience some new subplot.

That said of course I like more story/content, who wouldn't.

Also, I'm under no illusions about my self-control. It may well be rational to buy DA2 after a year when I know I'll be able to get the game, with less bugs (maybe...), and lots of DLC, for a cheaper price anyway. But there's no way I could wait a year to try the game.

Although it feels like giving away free money, I'm starting to think, if this game-plus-year-of-DLC model is "the new Bioware", maybe from here I'm basically going to buy the vanilla game on release, and then rebuy a year later for all the extra content/fixes/balancing/user mods (possibly).

Hm.

4. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

according to dragon age 2, when you preorder it (called signature edition), you can get $20 valuable content. but here is a catch. after January 11th, these content won't be available forever. you don't believe me, go to bioware dragon age 2 official website, and other gaming websites. it is only for pre-order. so if you don't, you can't get that content. that's why it is called 'signature edition'. I don't think that these content will be even available someday after. the price is about $60 for console, PC. anyway, I am not interested in RPG game like this.

by the way, nowdays, EA has released very good games for us. from mass effect 2, battlefield bad company 2, bioshock 2, medal of honor (2010). Dead Space 2 will be coming January 25th, 2011. I am really excited to get one. recently they offcially announced special edition (including life size laser cutter gun, dead space iginition (digital animation), and all goodies). the price is unknown yet. but I am already sold. Dead Space (original one) was so great. I still have hard time to finish entire game.

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Ha, I probably should have waited, but then again I really enjoyed this game, so I'm happy that I bought the NERD-edition and then Awakening -- which I have yet to play.

HOLY POOO! It would cost me ANOTHER $40 to buy the DLC content I don't have and that would leave me with 160 points, which are useless if they don't release more DLC. =\ I've already paid ($65 + tax) for the NERD edition and ($39 + tax) for the expansion. AND THEY ONLY WANT $49 for this ultimate edition. OK, I feel used!

6. Paulyboy macrumors 6502

I just recently finished the Dragon Age Deluxe edition and purchased my first DLC, Leliana's Song, a couple of days ago. I'll probably finish that today but I have played with it enough to understand what most people have said about these DLCs. They're not only short but everything is pretty stripped down compared to the main game I had gotten so use to playing. There's not much character development for the other party members, there is fewer conversational choices, and there isn't much else to explore outside of the few objectives laid out in the DLC.

However it's still Dragon Age and does have some interesting moments. So if you're a big fan of the game and want to get as much out of it as you can than I would say it's probably worth getting, even at an overpriced seven dollars.

Most people seem to think this is the best of the DLCs which now makes me wonder about purchasing some of the others. My plan was to play through all the DLCs and then get the Awakening expansion. But now I'll probably at least skip the Darkspawn DLC because it's universally thought of as awful. I'll still probably get the other ones though.

When I purchased the Deluxe Edition back in March I got it for the great price of $32.95 from Direct2Drive. So I don't really see the need for me to purchase the Ultimate Edition. I haven't yet seen a Mac version of the Ultimate Edition announced anyways although I'm sure that will change fairly soon.

In any event I should still have enough to keep me busy with this wonderful world until Dragon age 2 arrives. :)

-PN

7. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

so will dragon age ultimate edition for mac be out Oct. 25th? I heard somewhere. there is also mac version of assassin creed 2 coming out soon.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

@archurban,
    They list Apple on the product page, so I'd think they'd do a simultaneous release, since nothing is new.

@Paulyboy
    That's what I've been hearing about the DLC content, as it's too short and not really worth it. BUT, I'd buy a DLC expansion disc if it were made available at a fair price. OR, if I can get this Ultimate edition for for about $20 some day, I'll pick it up, then use all the provided codes with my NERD edition.

9. aki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the thoughts, it's very interesting to hear what other people think about it all.

For myself, I guess the truth is I am exactly the kind of consumer Bioware is counting on; I fell hard enough in love with vanilla DA and I know, whatever my brain might tell me, at the end of teh day however buggy or halfarsed a DLC is I'm going to want to play it just to see more of the characters and the world.

Thinking now I will go the Ultimate edn, not sure PC or OSX version (or hang on, do you get both or do you have to buy one? I forget now).

DLC isn't always rubbish - although it was short, I thought that the Kasumi mission for ME2 was good fun and worth the money, not deep but genuinely fun to play, and Overlord was quite good too and didnt feel like a stripped down minimission or anything. Hopefully DA2 DLC will be more in that vein.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

If you buy from Direct2Drive, you can download the PC version from EA.

I'm probably just going to get it on Steam. More convenient, and my 'O8 iMac probably wont be able to run it well in OS X anyway.

I waited to play DA for precisely the reason that they'd inevitably release a big pack with all the DLC. Can't wait!

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I've been hoping they'd do what Besthseda did with Fallout 3, where as they offered actual retail boxes of the DLC. Maybe, someday. :(

12. aki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Speaking of Fallout 3 - it sounds like Vegas is bug-ridden. I have to say, "signature edition"-style promotions notwithstanding, I really am slowly coming around to the idea of buying titles I really care about a year after release. Basically that means you get all the DLC in one hit, and you get a patched-up game.

I'm not sure I need to be first on the block anymore.