Dragon Speak on Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pretorien, May 1, 2016.

1. Pretorien macrumors newbie

In process of transitioning from Windows to Mac (newly acquired mid-14 MB Pro 2.5G I7, 16G/500G). I will be setting up Parallels and can mount my current Dragon Naturally Speaking there but would also consider buying the new Mac version. Has anyone tried using it with the built-in mikes? (I have tried the native program in El Capitan but have enough learning curves to climb and would prefer to stay with what I know)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If the app was ported correctly and is by the same developers, I don't see a single reason why it would not work as well in the Mac version.

You're more likely to find reviews for it elsewhere than here though.

3. keysofanxiety, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yes, works fine with internal mics. I believe the current version for OS X is 5.0.5.

Just to make you aware that it's really flaky with Office 16. Either Dragon or Word will constantly crash whenever you use them in tandem. Nuance are aware of the issue (I've sent loads of logs to them) and patched it, though the issue keeps occurring Of course it will be fixed in the long run, though just to give you a heads up that it'll need a bit of time.

EDIT: and don't get an earlier version of Dragon for El Cap, as the older versions really are poor. Plus for the future, tread carefully if upgrading your OS from 10.11. Nuance are a terrible, money-squeezing company, and they frequently don't patch earlier versions of Dragon to work on the latest OS, even if they don't have a new compatible version available.

When OS X Lion was released, Nuance were still selling a version of DNS that wouldn't officially work on it. Of course we bought/supplied on the assumption that it would eventually be patched. 3 months later, they release a 'new' version of Dragon that needs to be purchased to work on 10.7, and they don't patch the old one.