Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithos27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Hello. I accidently left my MacBook Pro unplugged for 4 hours. When I came back to it the screensaver was not on. Rather the screen was black and the power light was pulsating. I immediately plugged in the power. I tried moving the touchpad but nothing. Only when I hit the enter button did the computer screen come back up.

Some dialog box was up but immediately disappeared. Presumeably it was some power-related warning. I switched my power indicator on the top right-hand side from time to % and it showed 0% and then 1%.

Have I done something bad to my computer and/or lost any data?

Thanks,
Keith

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
No, you are supposed to drain your battery completely (let the computer go to sleep b/c of low battery and then wait until the light stops pulsating) every month. So in fact it was a good thing you should repeat ;)

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Have I done something bad to my computer and/or lost any data?

Your data should be fine. But if you were working on something and did not save, the changes won't be saved.

No, you are supposed to drain your battery completely (let the computer go to sleep b/c of low battery and then wait until the light stops pulsating) every month. So in fact it was a good thing you should repeat ;)

This is true. But also, once the battery is completely depleted, you should charge it fully before letting this run on batteries. This will calibrate the battery and keep it healthy.

I'm doing this right now on my new iPhone. I drained it completely and then let it charge overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.