Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tragichero187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
I have a MacBook Pro early 2011. I have it for 2 months already and I have been noticing its draining its battery faster than before. I have 31 cycle counts. As I can remember, I haven't charged my MacBook Pro when I got it, I just turned it on when it came out of the box. Does this have any effect on my battery? If yes, how can I fix it?

I am using it just for browsing the internet over a wi-fi connection.

* This is my first Mac, I didn't know that I have to charge it to 100% first before I turn it on until I read the Apple forums. (i was so excited! :D)

Well, anyway, please leave some tips and comments on how can I maximize my battery's power and what to do to fix this problem. Thanks

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I have a MacBook Pro early 2011. I have it for 2 months already and I have been noticing its draining its battery faster than before. I have 31 cycle counts. As I can remember, I haven't charged my MacBook Pro when I got it, I just turned it on when it came out of the box. Does this have any effect on my battery? If yes, how can I fix it?

* This is my first Mac, I didn't know that I have to charge it to 100% first before I turn it on until I read the Apple forums. (i was so excited! :D)

Well, anyway, please leave some tips and comments on how can I maximize my battery's power and what to do to fix this problem. Thanks
What you did out of the box caused no problem, so you have nothing to fix.

Battery life varies according to graphics card, processor, hard drive usage as well as screen brightness, whether bluetooth is turned on or not, etc.

Browsing websites with Flash contents usually doesn't help battery life that much as Flash is poorly optimized and rather power hungry.

The more power you use, the more battery you'll drain, that's just how it works.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011

you don't have to charge it to 100% the first time. whoever told you that lied.

battery life will vary based on what you do... what are you doing?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California

Go to Apple's web site, support... and lookup the info on how to care for your battery, you will be glad you did.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
how is that page even relevant? it has almost no actual information.
Well, see, it's apropos of a particular comment in this thread, specifically:
you don't have to charge it to 100% the first time. whoever told you that lied.
The aforementioned page exhorts,
Be sure to fully charge your portable when you plug it in for the first time[....]
Taking into account your keen post, and the fact that that the authors of that page (Apple, Inc.) are in fact the manufacturer of the device in question, we must conclude that they are responsible for the apparent misapprehension expressed by O.P.

I hope that I have sufficiently demonstrated the relevance of my previously posted link. However, I acknowledge that my reasoning may be somewhat jejune.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.