Draining the battery for the first time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yourdream, Oct 25, 2008.

1. yourdream macrumors regular

Is it recommended that the new aluminum macbooks should have the batteries go to 0% for the first time (complete automatic shutdown) and then recharged to 100% for the battery indicator's accuracy? And should this be done frequently? (Same thing applies to the iPhone 3G?) Will draining the battery harm the battery in anyway?

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

3. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

When it says, "4. Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep." Does that mean I have to wait until the battery goes to 0%, then turn off the computer, and then recharge? And does this apply to the iPhone 3G as well?

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Your MacBook will go to sleep before it gets to zero. When it goes to sleep, close the lid and let it stay in this condition for 5+ hours then plug it in until it charges to 100% (I usually use my MacBook during this recharging time).

Example: I get home from work and use my MacBook with battery from 5:30 until it gets to low battery (7-8 mins. left) and continue until it goes to sleep. Then I put it away in the bag overnight. The next morning, I carry it to work, plug it in and turn it on. I use it all day at work and during that time, it goes back up to 100%. Wa-la...I've calibrated my battery.

iPhone 3G....I don't know but you can probably get more info on that HERE