Draining the iPhone 4 battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bigchief, Oct 11, 2010.

1. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Are you suppose to drain the iPhone 4 battery completely every once in a while then recharge completely + 2 hours. I did this with my 3gs and the battery for it still works like new for my wife.

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Taken from: here

In short, you should use the phone's battery, whether you wish to run it down or not, I think, is to do with battery calibration, though I could be wrong and someone will come and correct me.

Anyways, the recommendation of Apple is to run it down once a month...so there you go.

3. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm not the search police but I gotta run and put the kid to bed. There are some threads on this subject and apple has battery care and feeding information on their website. An occasional drain is a good thing. :)

5. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

BS, please read up on what engineers say, not Apple.

these are lithium batteries, they don't have a memory effect, that applies only to nickel battery technology and older. The only reason to ever do a full charge and recharge on a lithium battery is if you are worried you battery % calibration is off.

the biggest thing that will degrade battery life is

a) use
    b) temperature

you can prolong your battery life by always keeping it plugged in, and keeping it cool